Scared fish? Help!

Reaction score
Hi, am really after some advice.

We moved into a house with a man-made pond with 6 fish. We already feel that the previous owners put too many fish into a small pond, but that's off topic.

When we moved in the fish were very active, even when it was still winter. However, two things have happened recently - we had to clear a large amount of algae/pond weed that was restricting their swimming, and we have spotted a heron lurking on the side of the pond.

Now, the fish are hidden at the bottom - we don't event know if the heron has got any because we can't see many. They won't move or eat.

Is this normal behaviour and what can we do to help coax them back out?

Would really appreciate advice!

Thanks
Jim

Reaction score
The most common cause of this is poor water quality. The first step is to get a pond water test kit for ammonia, nitrite, KH, GH, ph. Most kits contain all of these. Post the number and we can go from there. Without those numbers giving you suggestions would be irresponsible.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomehu9.gif
Jim

I wouldn't try to coax them out if you don't have some kind of protective measures to keep Mr Heron from eating them up! Use fish line around the edge or a net raised up above the water so heron can't stab right through the net. Are they koi or goldfish or ? cuz depending on the variety you could put in some plant cover like lilies etc. to give them less exposure to the birds.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Both responses above 100% correct. don't try and coax them out, this is a natural response and for there own protection. Check water quality and make sure that isn't a issue, second take action to help prevent the heron from attacking and then be patient. They will come out in a week or so if all safe and the water is good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am still floating a piece of liner, the fish hide under it. The heron flys over every day so far has not stopped, maybe because the pond looks empty.

someone made a styrofoam floating plant island, to help the fish feel safe. Maybe do something like that, give them a hiding spot. i am leaving in the liner until the plants grow and give them some feeling of security.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good idea addy! Mine are hiding under the plant rings at times when it's chilly. Today for some reason tho they are all out and looking around and it is by no means warm. My one plant ring I made for my creeping primrose gone wild has perked up and is making a nice hiding spot:

IMG_3777.JPG

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I did what they do in Japan. I strung twine high above the pond from the roof of my house across the pond to the trees. I crisscrossed the twine and on the twine hung thin strips of old cloth about two to three feet apart. The strips of cloth blow in the wind gently and scare of the herons. The herons also have a large wing span and the twine prevents them from landing nearby. The twine is high above my head so it does not obstruct the nice view of my pond. From a distance the strips of cloth just look like party streamers so its all good!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good idea addy! Mine are hiding under the plant rings at times when it's chilly. Today for some reason tho they are all out and looking around and it is by no means warm. My one plant ring I made for my creeping primrose gone wild has perked up and is making a nice hiding spot:

View attachment 42448

the frogs now have decide they love the floating liner, usually have 4-6 sitting on it. All the green frogs. So funny to watch them scatter when I come close, kicking those feet as fast as they can to get into the water. Going to find some styrofoam and make a floating plant island, little prettier than my piece of liner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bet the nice black liner sucks up the heat and makes them feel toasty!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most likely and they feel safe out in the middle of the pond just floating around.

Ask a Question