addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My mower mulches the grass three blades, I have not picked up grass ever! Tree branches etc get wood tossed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Good Day,

I am having a hard time controlling the spread of scouring rush or horsetail in my pond. Tried a natural pond plant killer before but did not seem to work and want to limit the amount of products I put into the water. Lately I have been going into the water with hip waders and pulling them, which has been difficult as they are growing slightly deeper than my hip waders in some spots.

Has anyone had any experience with an overgrowth of this plant and have any insights around how to control/remove them?
Any info is appreciated!
I had a similar problem with cattails in my rubber bottom pond. I had to drain it, remove all the rocks, and start tugging. Never again will I plant something like that, even in planters. I started with one planter, but the roots grew out the bottom and took over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
limestone
Country
France
Good Day,

I am having a hard time controlling the spread of scouring rush or horsetail in my pond. Tried a natural pond plant killer before but did not seem to work and want to limit the amount of products I put into the water. Lately I have been going into the water with hip waders and pulling them, which has been difficult as they are growing slightly deeper than my hip waders in some spots.

Has anyone had any experience with an overgrowth of this plant and have any insights around how to control/remove them?
Any info is appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
limestone
Country
France
I planted some in the pond, spring three years ago. They would not grow in the pond but marched up the bank and off into the edge of the lawn. I wish I had never planted the darn things! We mow them off in the lawn and use an electric strimmer on the bank ones. Still none in the water!

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
My horsetail is taking over my small rubber-lined pond. I think it looks great but it does go crazy, and it doesn’t seem to need any soil, the roots just make a big ball. I have to rip out huge clumps. Fortunately it can’t really run wild in our climate because our clay soil is very dry all summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My horsetail is taking over my small rubber-lined pond. I think it looks great but it does go crazy, and it doesn’t seem to need any soil, the roots just make a big ball. I have to rip out huge clumps. Fortunately it can’t really run wild in our climate because our clay soil is very dry all summer.
It grows along and near the rivers in central Arizona - when it has consistent water it's very thick. I kept it potted in the little pond that I had. I can easily see it getting out of hand, but it's a beautiful plant when contained.

Ask a Question