self priming pump installation

Reaction score
I would glue it all and use boots or unions at commonly disconnected spots. The only time you don't glue is when it's underwater in the pond or filter. That way if a leak happens you don't come home to a drained pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't glue the flexible rubber connectors, at least i don't. We have been using them as we put in the plumbing, a constant moving target.

So far never had one break loose. They work great when you need to remove the pump, have a slightly off angle pipe to connect. Just make sure you tighten them well, I use a nut driver.

Reaction score
KennethO said:
I would glue it all and use boots or unions at commonly disconnected spots. The only time you don't glue is when it's underwater in the pond or filter. That way if a leak happens you don't come home to a drained pond.

What I ment is that anytime the pipe is outside the pond it should be glued or have a boot used. Never just dry fit or press them together. Vibrations, ground settling and weather could cause them to separate and cause a leak. There for slowly causing the pond to lose water and drain.

If the pipe is in the pond or filter then you can dry fit them if you want. Since if it ever came apart it would just drain back in the filter or pond. As an example, some people don't glue the downpipes in the skippy filters since it really isn't needed and any leak would just flow into the filter anyways.

As for the boot and unions part. Use them on each side of the Pump, UV's, Filters and any thing else that you may need to disconnect for cleaning, winterizing, service and repairs. That way when or if you ever have to remove it, you don't need to cut the pipe and reglue it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol got it kenneth................I don't dry fit anything, but do use the boots.

Reaction score
Sorry that was ment for Damian addy. He said it confused him so I wanted to clear it up.

Wanted to make sure he was gluing the pipes from the BD to the skimmer since they are outside the pond. And the same for the skimmer to pump.

Also, I'm sure you know but if you use the boots, make sure they have stainless steel claps if you bury them.

Reaction score
I probably won't use clasps because it looks like you have to cut short sections of pipe to insert into valves, tees, etc so you have something to clasp to.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks pretty good Daiman, I know that is a trial run but on the main water fall going to the main pond, on the right hand side, be sure and get that liner up some, the way it looks as algae builds up you could end up with a leak there. the other side looks great once you get it rocked in and the liner tucked away, That is how the right side should be too. Great job on the project! What are you planning on putting in the top pond?

Reaction score
Yeah, the stone slab for the lower waterfall needs a lot of work. i basically just propped up the liner on both sides to direct flow over the slab to see what it looked like.

do you mean what sort of creatures, or what design elements do i plan on putting in the top pond?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I was just curious if you were planning on putting plants or fish up there. That would make a nice spot to pot a nice Lily/Lotus and a lot of marginals around the side. Lots of potential there!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
very nice damian, love the lay out you made

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
I was just curious if you were planning on putting plants or fish up there. That would make a nice spot to pot a nice Lily/Lotus and a lot of marginals around the side. Lots of potential there!

definitely plants, and i think i'll put baby fish up there so they don't get eaten.

Ask a Question