self priming pump installation

Reaction score
on another note, what are some external pump shelter/hiding strategies that people have done successfully? is the best option to just build a box for it and run the plumbing through the sides?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well we have 1/2 of any upside down 55 gallon barrel spray painted with black textured paint over our pump. It nicely covers the pump well, keeps it out of the weather, it is not really noticeable. Eventually we might build a pump room.

Reaction score
in the meantime, will my pump be okay for a couple weeks without an enclosure? the sequence manual just says protection from the elements is "recommended to extend the life of the pump" or something like that, which implies to me that it won't explode if it rains on it once or twice.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It would seem so, or just take even an old tub and place it over the pump, just leave air room. In arizona I took some left over roofing material (metal) bent it and made a little metal roof for it, the pump still has that little roof.

Sequence pumps are made nicely.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is what I house my pump and aerator in. It has a hinged roof for easy access. Now that the landscaping has grown in you can hardly see it. The last pic is of the inside with my pump as I was putting it in this year.

Attachments

• DSC00941.jpg
    DSC00941.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC00944.jpg
    DSC00944.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 244
  • P1020233.jpg
    P1020233.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 240
Reaction score
I would put something over it. Might see if the dollar store has a cheap 20 gal tote or larger that will fit over it. Cut 2 arches in it were the pipes come in and drill some large air holes in the side. Shouldn't be more than 10 bucks and protects your investment.

Looks pretty good. Just shrink the last fall up a tad so you get enough spare liner on that corner and your set. Love the upper pool.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looking good! I like that stack rock look, The water falling straight down has a nice effect.

Reaction score
so, i used the rubber couplings to connect the inlet and outlet of the pump so i didn't have to have a glued connection. these couplings are leaking slightly. is there anything i can do to prevent this? with 2" or so of pvc inserted into each end of the coupling, i really didn't expect any leaking.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They should not leak at all, I assume you really cranked down when tightening them and used the right size of coupling for the pipe.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
so, i used the rubber couplings to connect the inlet and outlet of the pump so i didn't have to have a glued connection. these couplings are leaking slightly. is there anything i can do to prevent this? with 2" or so of pvc inserted into each end of the coupling, i really didn't expect any leaking.

You can add some vasoline to the threads and the o-ring /gasket, whichever it has. This will halp get that extra quarter turn by hand.

Ask a Question