j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lots of beautiful fishes! Ha Ha that big dish looking thing in the pond I thought was the big koi's dog food bowl! I hear they are pigs, lol!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
j.w.....THEY'RE ONLY PIGS IF YOU MAKE THEM THAT WAY....They grow plenty quick enough on their own without being hog fed. They get 2 handfulls first thing in the morning for the big guys and acouple fingers pinched full for the fry...same thing in the evening. and a mid day snack. other than that they can feed off the pond. it seems to me 'the more they eat,the more they wanna eat'...they're happy & healthy, active, and social!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's what I've been doing w/ my goldies/shubbies just feed them a bit in the morning and then evening. They get no mid-day snack tho cuz they also can fend for themselves on bugs,plants, eggs, tiny fry etc. Need to keep the population from exploding!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
next year, i think that I AM GOING TO SELL MY BIG GUYS (after the spawn)... I love growing them out and seeing how they develope and change. and even more so love a highly active, pond. watching all the younger fish chase eachother and dart around the pond..a couple years without the big ones destroying my plants would give them a chance to regain a better foothold in the pond as well. i dont know about anyone else, but i think i really enjoyed my fish when they were smaller more. not that i dont thuroughly enjoy them now!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like my small ones, none of our fish are big except the white long fin. and that is mainly fins. Most are in the 3 inch range.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
SANY1401.jpg

SANY1402.jpg

SANY1403.jpg

SANY1404.jpg

SANY1405.jpg

SANY1406.jpg
#1 is from an upstairs window....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Koiguy your plants look quite large,lush and beautiful to me. Don't see any damage from the koi but then I'm not up close and personal as you are. Beautiful shots of your pond!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
j.w....PIC#1 is my watermint that no longer exists PICS 2&3 are what my lillies used to look like...look back at any recent pics to see my lillies now! pics say it all... those damned fish!!
011.jpg

001.jpg

013.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My water mint did not do well, got a bunch of roots but not much leaf growth. What is that brown thing that looks like a mini volcano in the right on the last pic?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Tmann...its a concrete mushroom patch...with one tall one in it. its no longer in the pond. and the mint..you can see this one had a real nice root system as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My water mint is doing great, the water lettuce lousy. I have some in my bog, some just along side of the big pond in the rocks.

Ask a Question