Setting large stones on my liners. I need a better way!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A large dead log coupled with marginals would be a relatively cheap and easy fix, IMO.

How did you end up with such a large area of liner showing, anyway? Planning error? Surely you must have foreseen the outcome during the build process?

Not raggin' ya, just curious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What I got from the original post is that a modification to the original plan created this situation. But I agree, a large log placed across the entire opening would be cool and would solve your issue without putting any stress on the liner. It would be tricky to find the right piece, but it's doable. We scoured the Lake Michigan beach near us in the early spring until we found just the right log - and because it's driftwood, it should last a really long time.

But I guess it would depend on the look you were going for out of the bog - if it's more of a waterfall effect, why not build a waterfall from the bottom up? Smooth, round boulders won't cause issues with your liner no matter how heavy. Unless the liner itself is supporting the weight of the boulders you won't puncture it with weight.

Reaction score
A large dead log coupled with marginals would be a relatively cheap and easy fix, IMO.

How did you end up with such a large area of liner showing, anyway? Planning error? Surely you must have foreseen the outcome during the build process?

Not raggin' ya, just curious.

This project started with the koi pond in the center and the large drop at the bottom with the filtration bog.

Then we added the waterfall and two more small drops in those.

NOW I'm adding the big bog.

Reaction score
What I got from the original post is that a modification to the original plan created this situation. But I agree, a large log placed across the entire opening would be cool and would solve your issue without putting any stress on the liner. It would be tricky to find the right piece, but it's doable. We scoured the Lake Michigan beach near us in the early spring until we found just the right log - and because it's driftwood, it should last a really long time.

But I guess it would depend on the look you were going for out of the bog - if it's more of a waterfall effect, why not build a waterfall from the bottom up? Smooth, round boulders won't cause issues with your liner no matter how heavy. Unless the liner itself is supporting the weight of the boulders you won't puncture it with weight.

Just went and bought a huge roll of Sand Mat. www.sandmat.com . It's a porous fabric material designed for use under golf bunkers.

I'm going to roll it up in some liner ( like a sand mat burrito ) and set my stones on it I think.

Reaction score
Mac McGreevy is a Championship Koi Breeder from here in the Great State of Texas.

<<< Mac's koi pond...

As recently as 2012 he won the Grand Champion Baby Koi award at the Central Florida Koi Show in Orlando Florida with a Purdin Kohaku.

This is his son's house and he was trying to create the perfect koi breeding atmosphere in the middle pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So we can expect you here by 6pm for dinner then? Or what did you say your name will be :joyful:
I will have to call you LFD tho for short.

Reaction score
Reason I don't have anyone here cooking for me anymore is because I'm never here by 6pm for a HOT home cooked meal.

Jimmy works just fine for me....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok Jimmy it is then................I remember a song from long ago called Jimmy Mack. You are prolly too young to remember this one:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A little late to the party, but underlayment (nonwoven geotextile) is used by every professional installer that I know as protection between large stone and liner. Never heard of a problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey...i am not a know it all, but i dont understand why all these ideas. Stacking a rock wall with rounded stones on the liner wont hurt it in my opinion. Just go to your local quarry and hand pick exactly the ones you need. I have seen way larger, heavier boulders on liners before.

Ask a Question