Setting a pond feeder

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So I bought me a pond feeder and now I'm trying to think on how much weight should I setup per feeding on there.

Does anyone have a good rule weight wise (besides the 5 minute rule cause that doesn't work well on my dumb fish)?

I have 25 goldfish range 3 inch to 7 inch bodywise and I don't know their weights. Most are fancy.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh poor dumb fish .;)Not sure about that but you will have to also watch your water quality if it goes down then you need to turn back the food from it .Hope someone can help you .Fish are just pigs in water .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I bought me a pond feeder and now I'm trying to think on how much weight should I setup per feeding on there.

Does anyone have a good rule weight wise (besides the 5 minute rule cause that doesn't work well on my dumb fish)?

I have 25 goldfish range 3 inch to 7 inch bodywise and I don't know their weights. Most are fancy.

Assuming that the average size is 5 inches, you have about 32 ounces (2 lbs) of fish. This size fish requires about 10% of its total weight per day in feed. So total feeding for all of the fish in your pond would be about 3 to 3.5 ounces of food per day. I would recommend spreading this out over as many individual feedings as are programmable in your automatic feeder.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Assuming that the average size is 5 inches, you have about 32 ounces (2 lbs) of fish. This size fish requires about 10% of its total weight per day in feed. So total feeding for all of the fish in your pond would be about 3 to 3.5 ounces of food per day. I would recommend spreading this out over as many individual feedings as are programmable in your automatic feeder.

Thank you. So I'm gonna do a 3 feedings with the current temperature, two with the feeder. So I'll give them 1 ounce per feeding on the feeder.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you. So I'm gonna do a 3 feedings with the current temperature, two with the feeder. So I'll give them 1 ounce per feeding on the feeder.

This amount can be slightly increased during high Summer when temperatures peak. Fish metabolism will be at its highest.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Oh poor dumb fish .;)Not sure about that but you will have to also watch your water quality if it goes down then you need to turn back the food from it .Hope someone can help you .Fish are just pigs in water .

Yeah I do weekly water changes and now the plants are in full action (hyacinths, cattails and frogbits).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Well it's up today. I set up for 2 feeds at 8 am and 3 feeds at 1 pm. Each feed is 0.4 ounces. I figured that out myself with a scale since they dumb instruction manual didn't give an approximation.

I'm using this feeder that I got from ebay. Now I realize I need more dry food... duh!

Ask a Question