Setting large stones on my liners. I need a better way!

Reaction score
@Meyer Jordan - In a previous post, I stated that I felt pretty comfortable wrapping .45 mil liner around www.sandmat.com like a burrito and setting my Ragged Edged FLAGSTONE on top of them and letting them fend for themselves - NO Boulders. - jagged rocks that could fall and could put a hurting on my world! - Opinion?

Not boulders....

Flagstone...

No surface area.

Boulders are rounded and r rarely a problem..

I am trying to avoid issues that could arise years from now.

Want it to be perfect the first time, without leaving and thinking I did something that could be a hell of an issue years from now.

.45 mil is OK as a liner and in some of my under-layments.

WISH I HAD A BLACK BOARD!

Here in SE Texas we have Coast Prairie Soil which is very Loam (y) and full of clay.

I can compact it, beat it into submission and layer it with ton's of sand and I still get several inches of pretty severe settling when &
where pressure is applied to it EVERY TIME.

If I have my liner pulled tight and full of water ( pressure ) ....

Well................... in 5 years... How much stress can it take without failing in a 1 square inch area???

Which is all it will take before I have to tear it apart and redo it or add a sump pump to fix something that I felt MIGHT happen?

I'm just sayin"

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Underlayment will protect liner during settling if it is double layered. As to rocks falling. No disrespect, but if rock is set correctly it will not fall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know a lot of people dont like covering the bottom of your pond with large river rock, but that is one of the reasons it should be done...if anything falls, it protects the liner from being punctured. So stacking the right rock wall up to where you need it, combined with covering the bottom with river rocks...is the best way to do it in my opinion.

Also...like meyer said, stacked properly it wont topple. But you never know...if your making an alteration, or adding some new flat rocks and you drop it, the stones covering the bottom protect the liner. I have done it :)
Sometimes you lose your balance , what can i say lol

Ask a Question