MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
First of all, whoever gave you that quote on a shade sail is ripping you off. Shade sails are NOT that expensive.

Imagine what I built on top of my raised pond, but adjusted to your ground level pond. You could make it 6-8' high. Why go through all that effort you described in your post above? Ultimately, it's your decision, but to me it sounds like a lot of work for the same effect.

023-Jun_10.jpg

024-Jun_10.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
First of all, whoever gave you that quote on a shade sail is ripping you off. Shade sails are NOT that expensive.

Imagine what I built on top of my raised pond, but adjusted to your ground level pond. You could make it 6-8' high. Why go through all that effort you described in your post above? Ultimately, it's your decision, but to me it sounds like a lot of work for the same effect.

View attachment 101483

View attachment 101484

I think the biggest problem for me is the stone around the pond. I'd really like to avoid messing with that but yours looks great!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
7-8 thousand dollars for a sail!

Was this from a contractor? How large of a shade sail were they going to install?

Shade sails are available on-line starting at $40.00 for a 23' x 23' x 23' triangle or a extra heavy duty 23' x 23' square for $145.00. You can install yourself.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think the biggest problem for me is the stone around the pond. I'd really like to avoid messing with that but yours looks great!

Why would you have to mess with the stone? The one I built just sits on the frame of the pond. It is not attached. The weight of it holds it in place. I can move it off there at any time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Was this from a contractor? How large of a shade sail were they going to install?

Shade sails are available on-line starting at $40.00 for a 23' x 23' x 23' triangle or a extra heavy duty 23' x 23' square for $145.00. You can install yourself.

I'll be going with 18x18. Yeah I have no idea what he was thinking.

I found one for 65.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Why would you have to mess with the stone? The one I built just sits on the frame of the pond. It is not attached. The weight of it holds it in place. I can move it off there at any time.

Ah I see what you mean. Its an interesting idea but the fam prefers not to put a border around the pond. The kids aren't tall enough yet to see over it :)

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ah I see what you mean. Its an interesting idea but the fam prefers not to put a border around the pond. The kids aren't tall enough yet to see over it :)

You don't need a border...just 4 posts sitting on the ground held together by a top "frame" that you could cover with shade cloth. You could make it a simple box frame on top or a fancy pergola design. If you are worried about the posts getting kicked out because they are not anchored to the stone, you could dry lay a few courses of pavers around each post. It would probably look quite nice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sounds like a good price! What color did you select? Post a pic once you have it installed.

I will! :)

Going with Brown to match the existing posts. :)

This is what I've done so far. Installed the two at the back of the patio and mounted them to the existing 4x4s. Bolted at both the top and bottom. They seem rock solid. Used some massive 1/2 metal O rings with a nut for the sail to attach.

20170628_131009_zps9uo97ixw.jpg

20170628_131034_zpstf4i6m1u.jpg

I took a small piece of one of the 4x4s, traced around it and used one of those vibrating osolating tools to cut. pretty close!

20170628_131040_zpsjxaiaqsr.jpg

I need to fill in around it with some kind of epoxy. Suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
One thing I learned today. I like Augers!!

Now all the poles are up! Gotta wait a few days of course for the concrete to cur and get a few minor things in order but overall less than 500 bucks spent including renting the Auger!

20170628_185854_zpsd0lzityt.jpg

20170628_185900_zpsx6ltndac.jpg

Ask a Question