Sheltered Pump

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
My underwater pump is surrounded by stone slightly larger than pump. I did this to hopefully prevent leaves and such from impacting the pumps performance. Such also makes it easier to clear that area with my high pressure nozzle outlet hose.

How is your pump situated?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is external under a tote. A little different than your setup

Reaction score
This is when it was first put in to test run, with temp wiring so excuse the crudeness ... it sits in a hole between the bog/comet pond, and the house ...

DSCN3928_zps3e6d8f58.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Mine is underwater, Lou. I have it on a milk crate, zip tied so it won't fall off, and the crate on the bottom of the pond. That way, the pump doesn't pull from the bottom, therefore stays clear of anything that sinks to the bottom. At first I thought the pump should be on the bottom, catch all the gunk, send it up to the Skippy filter, and get rid of it. Sure glad I learned to not have the pump on the bottom of the pond! That's what saved my fish last weekend, when my line came apart and the pump drained my pond ... down to the milk crate depth! All fish are safe and water is filled back in. I rarely have had to pull my pump and clean it, too. Nothing gets on it except algae that is floating in the water column (string type) and I can swish that off and net it with my net. I have a 4200 gal pump this way in each pond, and both got cleaned good only once last year, that's it.
Just to give you an idea, here is a pic of the air bubbler that I used this year in the koi pond to ward off ice and keep an opening all winter. My pump is on a crate just like this.
After first 12 inch fill.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine is in a black plastic plant pot that had holes in the bottom so I put a round piece of flat filter media on the bottom so only water could get sucked in. Then I set my pump on top of that and hooked the tubing up to it and ran the tube and cord up and out. Covered the top of the pot w/ another piece of the filter media, flat and round cut circle and placed it so it fit tight on top w/ a slit cut w/ a hole where the tube and cord comes out. This setup only lets water inside to the pump from the bottom and the top through the media and no fish can get in there either. I then set it on a crate w/ bricks holding the crate down. Has been running for a year like that w/o cleaning the filter media on bottom and top. I can tell it is still working good as the falls are running just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Lou a net over the pond during what you guys call fall is about the simplest thing you could do added protection against preditors as well
Two for the price of one a bargain for a piece of mind me thinks

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Big Lou said:
Looks like a first class job.
Oops Lou, I missed that yours was IN your pond ... not too bright with this bug:-(

I shared this pic with a plant/pond group I belong to on Facebook and hubby wanted to hang me LOL. His words were along the lines of it being one of the biggest hack jobs he has done, and I was going to SHOW it to people LOL. He used to build nice wooden boxes to put in the ground for the external pumps, but now uses irrigation valve boxes (I think I used the right name) as a housing to bury external filters in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think since my two big pumps are 4200 gph, and the fact they can easily handle stuff going through them up to I think 1/2" (maybe I'm way off on that ...), it's fine for things to go through the pump. My skimmers both have filter media before the pumps, and I have to clean them, depending on the time of year, once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. When I put a 1600 gph pump on a crate, used it to shoot water straight up as a bubbler in the goldfish pond, to help keep ice open, that sucker got clogged up several times IN THE WINTER, before I noticed there was a square mesh filter before the pump hole. Removed it, and it worked perfectly the rest of the winter. Usually, even with the smaller pumps, if they are going through large enough tubing or pipe, the pump will push it through. It's when you are trying to push water through a 1/2" line that you have to be careful not to let gunk run through it, right? In this case, the 1600 was not sending water through anything, so figured it would be fine with no filter, and it was. The larger pumps are pushing water through 1.5" sump pump tubing, so stuff can be pushed through that easily, too. One goes to Skippy, which then filters out the stuff, the other into the large bog, which also filters it out. But, most important thing is that the pumps are not on the bottom of the ponds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
gardengimp said:
What kind of filter media is it JW?
It's this stuff here (I used the black cuz it had smaller holes than the green) and I cut it into circles w/ a box cutter. One for the bottom and one for the top. If you make it just right and squeeze it on the top it stays on nice and tight.

IMG_3859.JPG

IMG_3860.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Our pump is an inline pump and is quite a besst an oase 3,800

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question