Should I euthanize my butterfly Koi with Carp Pox/ herpes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is your fish's redness and wound areas getting better or worse? That level of redness makes me think it might need some kind of treatment, if it is getting worse. If it is getting better I would not worry about it.

When I spot something unusual on my goldfish, I try to watch it to see which direction it is heading. I had some weird thing last year that ate away 2 fishes tails. I isolated those 2 fish and treated them with a broad spectrum treatment and they got better. No other fish in the pond got sick or had any lesions at that time. Mine had big white blobs and angry redness on the part of the tail that was eroding away. If your fishes tail begins to erode away, it definitely needs treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Has the water been tested, and with liquid testing kits? If you could do that and post the results here, that could help us determine if something else might be going on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i was thinking the same it looks like water quality issue . im leaning toward chlorine

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
An example of where a picture is worth a thousand words! Let’s go back to the beginning……

How big is your pond? How many fish do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Mr. Lumpy is about eight years old and his pox lesions come and go. He is otherwise happy and healthy, and his pond mates haven’t developed any. When I give away babies, I tell the new owners that they might be pox virus carriers. No one seems to care.

IMG_1921.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is your fish's redness and wound areas getting better or worse? That level of redness makes me think it might need some kind of treatment, if it is getting worse. If it is getting better I would not worry about it.

When I spot something unusual on my goldfish, I try to watch it to see which direction it is heading. I had some weird thing last year that ate away 2 fishes tails. I isolated those 2 fish and treated them with a broad spectrum treatment and they got better. No other fish in the pond got sick or had any lesions at that time. Mine had big white blobs and angry redness on the part of the tail that was eroding away. If your fishes tail begins to erode away, it definitely needs treatment.
I moved him into a bigger 100 gallon hospital tank. His lesions came back. He got a really really dark red spot on his tail and the tips of a few fins. I've treated with dimillin. Now I'm going through a proform C regimine. I had also done like 2 weeks of melafix and salt before these treatments.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has the water been tested, and with liquid testing kits? If you could do that and post the results here, that could help us determine if something else might be going on.
Yes tested and microscopes and the fish has been scraped and microscoped

Ask a Question