addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same here, one of the reasons I pull our pump and shut everything down. Then all I need to do is look at it to make sure the aerator is running when it is freezing over, and the hole is open.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I found a 15A outdoor timer for about $7 and use it to run my 1000 watt deicer. These things can be picked up from a farm supply store for under $25. I set the timer to only run while the sun is down, but when we have a real cold spell I will leave it on all day. I put the deicer in my small bottom pond, so the pumps are sucking up slightly warmer water. The waterfall tends to keep the top of the pond open, so there is never any question about oxygen content.

I have a lot of grasses and irises planted in my pond, and I'm sorry to say that in colder climates, they do absolutely nothing to help keep the ice broken up. Moving water seems to have the most effect, so waterfalls and aerators would be where I would put my money.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I used my cordless cirular saw to cut a hole in my ice on the pond earlier this year. The ice was around 8 inches thick so after I cut as much as I could with my saw, I hooked up my garden hose to the hot water heater and pretty much lazer cut the ice.

IMG_3624_zpsc1d1e500.jpg

IMG_3617_zps7eb192b8.jpg

IMG_3615_zps18abcfd1.jpg

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I've been using this de-icer all winter, as far as I can tell, seems to be working fine. I had at least 3 inches of ice covering the pond when I first put it on, and it did melt through all of it. It was buried by a foot of snow or so last week after some storms, but saw it sitting in the pond again recently, so it appears to be open and working fine. Electrical usage, and the price are both right. It does have a shorter cord, so you might need to use an extension cord with it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-H-THERMO-...345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfa834cb1

Reaction score
there are 1250w heaters that work just fine in dr.fosters and smiths. if you are running a timmer make sure it is safe for the amps that are drawing from the heater, wont want a fire. frequently my ponds freeze up and i simply go and plug in the heater. A sharp ax works the same if you are going green or need a work out with the winter fat. yes every month i must add water to my ponds due to it being warmer than the temp.It does evaporate very fast.

Reaction score
so does a propane torch! safer method then alot of heat with a plastic liner, or the 100% blast of co2 into the water.......... defeats the purpose of making a hole in the water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
An opening in the ice is usually kept with an aerator or pond heater .A hot pan of water sitting on it will open a hole if the ice is not to thick .

Reaction score
I run a 2000# areator and i still build ice. Ive put pump facing straight towards the surface and they too build ice over night. Heater all the way. Have a back up just incase. Mine went out on me and tripped the gfci. Almost lost my filter to freeze. 30 below builds ice quickly and a hot pan is a waste of time. Its warm water by the time it gets there. Everyone has their plan of attack, just depends on how quick you need to repond

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I used my cordless circular saw this year so I could check on the fish. I was able to score the ice almost 3" down, then had my garden hose hooked up to the hot water heater and pretty much laser cut the rest of the ice. It was 8" thick for most of the ice cutting. Since then I've had a heater going when it gets real cold. It's out of the main flow of water just enough that it keeps the whole pond ice free and warms the water up to 40F

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
herzausstahl said:
I've been using this de-icer all winter, as far as I can tell, seems to be working fine. I had at least 3 inches of ice covering the pond when I first put it on, and it did melt through all of it. It was buried by a foot of snow or so last week after some storms, but saw it sitting in the pond again recently, so it appears to be open and working fine. Electrical usage, and the price are both right. It does have a shorter cord, so you might need to use an extension cord with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-H-THERMO-...345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfa834cb1
I actually like the idea of that heater that you posted.
It provides, what, a 8 - 10" open water area or so within the heater body?
Will the hole in the top of the heater accept a piece of pipe, maybe a couple of feet tall, that could be useful in the case of a couple feet of snow accumulation?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Just ran across this thread, I am from Canada and have no problems, just leave the pond pumps running and a big floating 1500 watt cattle heater when the temp below 18 f, or when required. Currently the top two ponds have no ice, but the bottom does have some as the water level lower in the bottom pond. I have not had to use the heater for a couple weeks now I think. We have been lucky and winter is mild this year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow mario really must have been cold .I don't put pond heater on gfi because it seems they trip them every time .I have one plug at my pond just for it and it is only a 250 watt one and so far this winter only used it 2 nights .My son put in the electric and suggested that just in case .

Ask a Question