sissys pond

My pond summer and winter and plants in my filters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
These are cold hardy and so are the banana plants and they get about 10 feet tall.Even cannas I have are cold hardy .I have old throw rugs and first put mulch on top of them and then the throw rug just in case we get a really cold winter .I lost all my pics on my old computer when id died .I was putting them on a hard drive but had not gotten them all on there before it died :(
I doubt I have a place for even cold hardy bananas with the deer here. They are always a hindrance. I sure enjoy seeing pics tho! I just put in some cannas from nare root this spring, but I fear they dont get enough sun. One has already started to grow, then died back. The other two are moving slow. I have little hope for them. They are so lovely though, I was willing to give them a shot, lol. Its my first year trying them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thought of son for it but on farther look at it I think they are hiding something .There are several failed reports on the well water and it is something they are required by law to disclose .Could be more they are hiding

high lead levels? From where? Undrinkable even? Is the federal EPA aware? Never trust your local govt. Its too easy to gloss over a problem when taxes and jobs are involved.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was from property I was going to buy ,but it was condemned by the county after the reports came in .I have lots of deer here and they don't like the bananas or the elephant ears .I feed the deer off season and keep fresh water for them also in the woods

Attachments

• pics on durecell back up 002.jpg
    pics on durecell back up 002.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 117

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
black elephant ear likes shade .i have them on the shady side of the house .You can dig the bulb up or cover it with lots of mulch .Ground is to cold here yet for them to break the ground yet here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
black elephant ear likes shade .i have them on the shady side of the house .You can dig the bulb up or cover it with lots of mulch .Ground is to cold here yet for them to break the ground yet here
Everything i see about them is zone 8 or above. Id hate to kill it, it breaks my heart to kill a plant. And they get really big! I have an empress woo hosta, that, over time could span several feet but shes young for me still. If I could put elephant ears out around my yard I sure would, but its just deer feed and I cant do that. So I have to fit my garden into a small fenced area. Its a shame....well, to me, lol.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pretty! Mine are behind this year, they started great now behind.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was shocked also was pulling weeds and my black elephant ears were up also .This one is early this year .I was surprised by it .I was weeding and looked at the lily pond and it was smiling at me

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very pretty. I'll be lucky if I get a bloom by July 4th!
Mine were in full bloom the second week of May last year this year I have had one small bloom show up so far. They started strong then stopped

This was 5/10 last year,
upload_2016-5-30_16-21-13.jpeg

This year

Capturez.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I looked under them and found 8 more bud heads .I had to rake up the grass after i mowed and 2 wheelbarrows full later and all the grass clippings are now in my potato bed .I put some fertilizer in the lily pond 2 weeks ago so I guess that really gave them a boost .I put some epsom salts in with it because I wanted to see what would happen .Maybe that was the best thing I could have done

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Seems strange since we had such a mild winter but it was a long winter so that could be it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have my first lily bloom today. However, as I rushed out to see it, I was greeted by frothy water and the koi are spawning! One of my younger koi, is involved and has lost scales on her tail tube. I have rocks around my pond, so it's a worry.

But....the lily is beautiful :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hope your koi is OK but at least you got a nice bloom .I have had foam the last couple of days ,but so far no injuries

Ask a Question