Skimmer and Bio waterfall size

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What are the dimensions you are considering? .
That's what I'm trying to decide on!
The pond I would like to build (yup no contractor this time) will be partially in ground and partially above ground, not sure on square footage, but I'd be happy with somewhere between 6000 and 10.000 gallons!
All decisions are pending on cost of equipment, that's why I'm asking all these questions on skimmers and waterfalls
First @Gemma , please do a showcase for your pond, it sounds awesome! I have no experience in these matters but my local Koi goldfish pond guy, a very long drive away, has 2 savio skimmers, 1 4x10 or larger bog and 1 waterfall. He has the savio UV lights x2 in 1 skimmer and none in the other. It's 4K gallons and way over stocked since he is a fish dealer.
I will post some pics, as soon as I figure out how to upload images from my new cell to the pc

A bog sounds great! .... but I don't know how to build it (lost myself just reading about it) nor I have time to upkeep, so I rather stick to the simple skimmer and Bio-fall system, that I'm already familiar with
... and my new pond will have lots of shelf room for plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I like my Savio skimmer very much. It's very strong and sturdy.....which is good, cause I frequently stand on it! I also use their UV light, that slips inside the skimmer

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Also, if it's a really big pond two smaller skimmers would be better than one big one.

I completely agree with this assessment not only for providing better overall circulation to the water column but this would require two (2) pumps. If a pump were to fail the system would still be able to function ,albeit at a lower efficiency, until the failed pump was replaced. Also in many cases there is lower electrical costs in operating two (2) pumps than one (1) larger one.

Ask a Question