Skimmer and Bio waterfall size

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does anyone know the largest size skimmer box, and Bio waterfall come in, and up to how many gallons pond they can be good for?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
EZPro offers a large skimmer capable of handling 300 gpm/18000 gph. They also manufacture a behemoth biofalls unit that measures 36"L x 65"W x 36"H with a 50" weir that will handle 15000 gph.

Aquascape offers a skimmer capable of handling 20,000 gph and a biofalls unit that will handle up to 15,000 gph.

These are probably the largest single modules available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you don't mind my asking... What are you planning?

I'm assuming (hoping) the skimmer/biofalls is not your primary means of filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Why should this not be the primary means of supplemental biofiltration? What would you have in its place and why?

You added two words I did not include in my original question: supplemental and bio.

It should ideally not be the primary means of filtration for something approaching a dedicated koi pond. Supplemental biofiltration, sure. Also, if it's a really big pond two smaller skimmers would be better than one big one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
For mechanical filtration the ideal would be a sieve and/or a rotating drum filter. For biofiltration, a bakki-type shower.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You added two words I did not include in my original question: supplemental and bio.

It should ideally not be the primary means of filtration for something approaching a dedicated koi pond. Supplemental biofiltration, sure. Also, if it's a really big pond two smaller skimmers would be better than one big one.

And you did not qualify your question by mentioning DKP.
It has already been established that @Gemma has a hybrid eco-pond, so absolute water clarity is not the top priority.

All added biofiltration to any pond is supplemental. Supplemental to the overall SSA of the pond itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I thought I read in another thread that Gemma was upgrading to something closer to a DKP but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
She is considering enlarging hew existing pond and may be thinking along the lines of a DKP. She has however not specifically indicated such that I know of.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you don't mind my asking... What are you planning?

I'm assuming (hoping) the skimmer/biofalls is not your primary means of filtration.
I'm trying to plan my next pond, and I think the size of skimmer and waterfall will help me determine the size I want to go for.
She is considering enlarging hew existing pond and may be thinking along the lines of a DKP. She has however not specifically indicated such that I know of.
I'm very sorry I've created so much confusion .
There is no expanding my existing pond, I've enlarged it 3 times and have no room left! The filtration also is what it is, if I ever need to improve that, all I can do is cut down on fish load.

This particular question (I should've specified) is for the building of my next pond!
I'm perfectly ok with another hybrid, but this time I want to make sure the filtration is MORE than adequate, and I can't do it on my own
For mechanical filtration the ideal would be a sieve and/or a rotating drum filter. For biofiltration, a bakki-type shower.
Thanks! I'm not sure what those are, I will have to do some googling!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
EZPro offers a large skimmer capable of handling 300 gpm/18000 gph. They also manufacture a behemoth biofalls unit that measures 36"L x 65"W x 36"H with a 50" weir that will handle 15000 gph.

Aquascape offers a skimmer capable of handling 20,000 gph and a biofalls unit that will handle up to 15,000 gph.

These are probably the largest single modules available.
How important is the size of the opening of the skimmer? cause I've seen (in my research) skimmers larger than mine with a smaller opening than mine has

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How important is the size of the opening of the skimmer? cause I've seen (in my research) skimmers larger than mine with a smaller opening than mine has

The size of the weir opening ultimately determines the maximum gph that the skimmer can handle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
What are the dimensions you are considering? If you have aeration sometimes it's hard for debris on the surface to make it all the way to a single skimmer.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
First @Gemma , please do a showcase for your pond, it sounds awesome! I have no experience in these matters but my local Koi goldfish pond guy, a very long drive away, has 2 savio skimmers, 1 4x10 or larger bog and 1 waterfall. He has the savio UV lights x2 in 1 skimmer and none in the other. It's 4K gallons and way over stocked since he is a fish dealer.

Ask a Question