Skimmer and Bio waterfall size

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by Gemma, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Gemma

Gemma

Does anyone know the largest size skimmer box, and Bio waterfall come in, and up to how many gallons pond they can be good for?

Gemma, Sep 22, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

EZPro offers a large skimmer capable of handling 300 gpm/18000 gph. They also manufacture a behemoth biofalls unit that measures 36"L x 65"W x 36"H with a 50" weir that will handle 15000 gph.

Aquascape offers a skimmer capable of handling 20,000 gph and a biofalls unit that will handle up to 15,000 gph.

These are probably the largest single modules available.

Meyer Jordan, Sep 22, 2017
    RobAmy and Gemma like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

Gemma

Gemma, Sep 22, 2017
  4. Gemma

audioenvy

If you don't mind my asking... What are you planning?

I'm assuming (hoping) the skimmer/biofalls is not your primary means of filtration.

audioenvy, Sep 22, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  5. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Why should this not be the primary means of supplemental biofiltration? What would you have in its place and why?

Gemma likes this.
  6. Gemma

audioenvy

You added two words I did not include in my original question: supplemental and bio.

It should ideally not be the primary means of filtration for something approaching a dedicated koi pond. Supplemental biofiltration, sure. Also, if it's a really big pond two smaller skimmers would be better than one big one.

audioenvy, Sep 22, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  7. Gemma

audioenvy

For mechanical filtration the ideal would be a sieve and/or a rotating drum filter. For biofiltration, a bakki-type shower.

audioenvy, Sep 22, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  8. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

And you did not qualify your question by mentioning DKP.
    It has already been established that @Gemma has a hybrid eco-pond, so absolute water clarity is not the top priority.

All added biofiltration to any pond is supplemental. Supplemental to the overall SSA of the pond itself.

Gemma likes this.
  9. Gemma

audioenvy

I thought I read in another thread that Gemma was upgrading to something closer to a DKP but perhaps I'm mistaken.

audioenvy, Sep 22, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  10. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

She is considering enlarging hew existing pond and may be thinking along the lines of a DKP. She has however not specifically indicated such that I know of.

Gemma likes this.
  11. Gemma

Gemma

I'm trying to plan my next pond, and I think the size of skimmer and waterfall will help me determine the size I want to go for.
    I'm very sorry I've created so much confusion .
    There is no expanding my existing pond, I've enlarged it 3 times and have no room left! The filtration also is what it is, if I ever need to improve that, all I can do is cut down on fish load.

This particular question (I should've specified) is for the building of my next pond!
    I'm perfectly ok with another hybrid, but this time I want to make sure the filtration is MORE than adequate, and I can't do it on my own
    Thanks! I'm not sure what those are, I will have to do some googling!

Gemma, Sep 22, 2017
  12. Gemma

Gemma

How important is the size of the opening of the skimmer? cause I've seen (in my research) skimmers larger than mine with a smaller opening than mine has

Gemma, Sep 22, 2017
  13. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

The size of the weir opening ultimately determines the maximum gph that the skimmer can handle.

Gemma likes this.
  14. Gemma

audioenvy

What are the dimensions you are considering? If you have aeration sometimes it's hard for debris on the surface to make it all the way to a single skimmer.

audioenvy, Sep 22, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  15. Gemma

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    First @Gemma , please do a showcase for your pond, it sounds awesome! I have no experience in these matters but my local Koi goldfish pond guy, a very long drive away, has 2 savio skimmers, 1 4x10 or larger bog and 1 waterfall. He has the savio UV lights x2 in 1 skimmer and none in the other. It's 4K gallons and way over stocked since he is a fish dealer.

IPA, Sep 22, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  16. Gemma

Gemma

That's what I'm trying to decide on!
    The pond I would like to build (yup no contractor this time) will be partially in ground and partially above ground, not sure on square footage, but I'd be happy with somewhere between 6000 and 10.000 gallons!
    All decisions are pending on cost of equipment, that's why I'm asking all these questions on skimmers and waterfalls
    I will post some pics, as soon as I figure out how to upload images from my new cell to the pc

A bog sounds great! .... but I don't know how to build it (lost myself just reading about it) nor I have time to upkeep, so I rather stick to the simple skimmer and Bio-fall system, that I'm already familiar with
    ... and my new pond will have lots of shelf room for plants.

Gemma, Sep 22, 2017
    Tula and Meyer Jordan like this.
  17. Gemma

Tula

I like my Savio skimmer very much. It's very strong and sturdy.....which is good, cause I frequently stand on it! I also use their UV light, that slips inside the skimmer

Tula, Sep 22, 2017
    Gemma and IPA like this.
  18. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I completely agree with this assessment not only for providing better overall circulation to the water column but this would require two (2) pumps. If a pump were to fail the system would still be able to function ,albeit at a lower efficiency, until the failed pump was replaced. Also in many cases there is lower electrical costs in operating two (2) pumps than one (1) larger one.

Meyer Jordan, Sep 24, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question