Skimmer/intake bay needed? Raised Bog wall construction...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! Absolutely nothing wrong with lots of research before you dig - save yourself a lot of aggravation later!

We built our pond with a negative edge and an underground water storage - that's where our pump sits. So we don't have a skimmer per se, just a "pit" full of rocks and gravel that catches the debris as it's pulled over the side.

Our plumbing is all external and buried about a foot underground. It goes from the pump, all the way around one edge of the pond to the side of the bog, where it goes up and over the edge of the bog to the bottom and drops to the bottom with a 90 degree elbow. Our yard is a bit unique as we had a large raised bed garden all along the back. The bog is in the raised area, which made for a natural waterfall. The bog flows into a small pooling area which then feeds the waterfall.

As for electricity - we had an outlet on the house near the pond, so we had our electrician just convert it from a two plug to a four plug outlet. The various cords are just buried a few inches underground from pond to outlet - maybe 10 feet or so. I just keep those cords in mind if I'm doing any digging. We have an extension cord from our pond less waterfall which got cut by a landscaper once. That's easy to replace. Cutting the cord on a pump? Not so easy to fix! Electricity is one thing I wouldn't suggest you fool with - it's worth paying to have it done right so no one gets hurt.

So many different ways to build a pond! You'll figure out what works best for you. One tip - with a very flat yard, you want to keep your profile low. Don't decide to build a six foot mounding waterfall in the middle of an Iowa backyard... we don't have many volcanoes here in the midwest! If you haven't already, check out The Ponddigger and Aquascape on YouTube - lots of great tips for building a natural looking pond in just about any setting!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This just popped this morning on my YouTube. While this is a pond less waterfall, the point is a you don't need a big drop to create an impact with waterfalls. A low profile installation like this one is both manageable by the DIYer and fits much more logically into the midwest flat landscape garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
This just popped this morning on my YouTube. While this is a pond less waterfall, the point is a you don't need a big drop to create an impact with waterfalls. A low profile installation like this one is both manageable by the DIYer and fits much more logically into the midwest flat landscape garden.

Thank you so much for pointing that out. You are right in line with a video I stumbled across this morning. He’s like you don’t want an anthill in the middle of a flat yard! I’m completely rethinking the height of my bog that will be above ground and whether having it partially underground would be better visually....

Every time I watch a video I learn something new!

I appreciate you telling about your setup. It helps me think about how I want to do things. Still going back and forth on an intake bay vs just skimming myself and if I want my pipes all within the pond or buried out. So many different ways to do things. :)

I definitely won’t be messing around with electrical things. I’ll leave that to the professionals!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Your electrical outlets should be placed strategically so that each cord can reach them safely without a chance for someone to damage them.
Most pumps, deicers, etc. have pretty long cords. Burying cords is not a good practice. Those cords are not made to be buried. Sorry Lisa. But you probably already know that anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Right? I mean, I don't need 15 feet of cord laying on the ground under my outlet. I would have loved to run them all through conduit, but sometimes you just gotta dig a hole and bury your problems, ya know what I mean?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Right? I mean, I don't need 15 feet of cord laying on the ground under my outlet. I would have loved to run them all through conduit, but sometimes you just gotta dig a hole and bury your problems, ya know what I mean?
Ha!

I'm happy to have a nice long cord.
And less chance of someone using an extension cord.

Ask a Question