Skimmer/intake bay needed? Raised Bog wall construction...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ok, so I have so many things running through my head and I'm having a hard time not feeling overwhelmed. I have become obsessed with this forum and have found hours slipping away just reading on here. Addy's post alone took me quite some time to filter through! I have learned so much but yet feel like there is so much more!

Some info….I plan to build a 13 x 9 pond with the deepest part at 3’. There will be a raised bog with a 7’ stream that will waterfall into the pond. I'll have a rock shelf around the outer rim to help hide the liner. Another shelf around 12"-18" and then 3 ft bottom. Haven't decided if I should put rocks on the bottom or not. I see mixed opinions on that. I want to have lots of plants and a couple goldfish. I have a very flat yard. I’m in zone 5. I live in a neighborhood that doesn’t have a lot of trees. My backyard only has two. The closest tree is a small weeping cherry tree. Anyway, I want to keep things simple but at the same time want to get it right the first time (hopefully). Do I need something like a skimmer or is there a simpler way to prevent the pump from getting clogged with debri? I know I need to keep it raised off the bottom of the pond. I’m considering an intake bay simply because I like that it hides the pump. I just question if it’s necessary considering I don’t think many leaves will make their way in.

For the raised bog. I’m thinking I’ll make the sides 18 inches deep and have just the 12” of gravel. Can I just build up my dirt for the edges or should I mortar concrete blocks together? Our soil is clay.

I know this depends on if I have the pump in the pond vs an intake bay. But if I have the pump in the pond will the pump hose go up and over the side of the bog that is closest to the pond or should I have it travel around the bog and go up and over on the backside of the bog (farthest away from the pond)? Should I bury the pond pump as it is on its way to the bog? If so, does the part that is buried need to be encased in pvc to protect it?

For all of you with multiple pumps, aerators, fountains, etc. How do you get power to all of that? Do you just have an electrician install multiple outlets close by? You all hide things so well.

I'm so excited to do this and at the same time so afraid to even order a liner because I'm afraid to spend money on the wrong thing! I just need to get out there and dig but for some reason I have to have a perfect plan in my head before I can take any action.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I use a external pump, never worry about it being plugged up with debris. I have a leaf basket before the pump, never empty it in a summer. I also draw the water from around a foot from the bottom of the pond.

Pipe lines are easy to hide, most of the time. A bit underground, under rocks, etc. I have one electric line running to the pond with 4 outlets. Ran it off a extension cord for years (hubby is a electrician) He finally ran the power line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I use a external pump, never worry about it being plugged up with debris. I have a leaf basket before the pump, never empty it in a summer. I also draw the water from around a foot from the bottom of the pond.

Pipe lines are easy to hide, most of the time. A bit underground, under rocks, etc. I have one electric line running to the pond with 4 outlets. Ran it off a extension cord for years (hubby is a electrician) He finally ran the power line.
Hi Addy! Thank you. I'm so thankful I found this forum. Can you show me pictures of your leaf basket? I can't picture what you mean by it "being before" the pump. Is there any need to protect the pump line somehow when you hide it under dirt/rocks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As you probably already know, any natural debris such as leaves are bad for water quality.

I have an awful lot of trees, which you can imagine equal to an awful amount of leaves! The Fall, obviously, is the worse time for leaves. That's when I put up my net.
For all other times, leaves do occasionally get blown into my pond, which I net out with a pool net.
I don't have a skimmer, intake bay or anything like that. Like I said, I just net whatever may blow in there.

Since you don't have many trees, maybe you can skip the intake bay or skimmer, but that's up to you.

All my plumbing is within my pond/bog. This way if anything leaks no water will escape. I use a combination of schedule 40 ridgid PVC and schedule 40 flex PVC. My flex PVC is black, so it's not too noticeable.
Don't waste your money on that corregated "pond hose". I love Tetra products, but that hose sucks. It's hard to connect it to barb fittings and it will develop pin holes before you know it. Then you'll go buy more and waste more money.

When I built my bog, I made it partially in the ground and partially above.
I have lots of rocks on my property, so I laid the large ones first then kept adding on top of that. As I was building that wall, I wedged soil in between the rocks to stabilize them. Then my liner went over that. I added more rocks on top of that to hide the liner. So, between the soil wedged in there and the liner on top, it's quite stable.

I'm an electrician, so I installed two weatherproof boxes on either end of my pond. Make sure you have enough places to plug in. Make those outlets quads (two duplex outlets, four places to plug in), and be sure they are GFCI protected.

I built a little "house" out of scrap wood to protect my aerator from the weather.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi Addy! Thank you. I'm so thankful I found this forum. Can you show me pictures of your leaf basket? I can't picture what you mean by it "being before" the pump. Is there any need to protect the pump line somehow when you hide it under dirt/rocks?
my pump has one built in, but you can also plumb one in line.

1619714622270.png
I also have one of these, just not used,
1619714678244.png

sitting in the basement.

With schedule 40 pvc it is plenty tough. I have some running under ground some under rocks some hidden by plants, some exposed

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a skimmer it nevers gets anything anymore except a bit of plants. The huge maple and the two apple trees that surround the pond are not dropping as much. The maple died the apples cut way back, they were big and old!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
When I had a skimmer a while back, tiny debris would constantly get past the filter pad and jamb up the pump. Then I would have to pull the pump, remove the impeller and clear out the blockage. Now, it was a cheap skimmer, so that may explain that.
Also, occasionally a fish would get caught inside it.
I like floating plants and they would get sucked into it also. I ran a string across the water just under the surface to keep the plants out. Was that defeating the purpose of the skimmer? Maybe, to a degree.

I got tired of constant maintenance, so I no longer use a skimmer. I just net out anything that may land in there. I'm out there anyway, no big deal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have an awful lot of trees, which you can imagine equal to an awful amount of leaves! The Fall, obviously, is the worse time for leaves. That's when I put up my net.
For all other times, leaves do occasionally get blown into my pond, which I net out with a pool net.
I don't have a skimmer, intake bay or anything like that. Like I said, I just net whatever may blow in there.

Since you don't have many trees, maybe you can skip the intake bay or skimmer, but that's up to you.
It's good to hear that others without an intake bay or skimmer are doing ok. I think it will be relaxing to be out there tending to the pond.

All my plumbing is within my pond/bog. This way if anything leaks no water will escape. I use a combination of schedule 40 ridgid PVC and schedule 40 flex PVC. My flex PVC is black, so it's not too noticeable.
Don't waste your money on that corregated "pond hose". I love Tetra products, but that hose sucks. It's hard to connect it to barb fittings and it will develop pin holes before you know it. Then you'll go buy more and waste more money.
Thank you for that advice. I'll have to look into this PVC. I for sure was going to use PVC for my bog but hadn't considered it for the plumbing from the pump to the bog. I like the idea of keeping it all within the pond as well! Like I could have the pvc going from the pump > up the waterfall > through the stream > bog. Do you have pictures from when you built? so I can see how you piped it?

When I built my bog, I made it partially in the ground and partially above.
I have lots of rocks on my property, so I laid the large ones first then kept adding on top of that. As I was building that wall, I wedged soil in between the rocks to stabilize them. Then my liner went over that. I added more rocks on top of that to hide the liner. So, between the soil wedged in there and the liner on top, it's quite stable.
Thanks!

I'm an electrician, so I installed two weatherproof boxes on either end of my pond. Make sure you have enough places to plug in. Make those outlets quads (two duplex outlets, four places to plug in), and be sure they are GFCI protected.
Ok, I'll definitely need to get in touch with one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's good to hear that others without an intake bay or skimmer are doing ok. I think it will be relaxing to be out there tending to the pond.

Thank you for that advice. I'll have to look into this PVC. I for sure was going to use PVC for my bog but hadn't considered it for the plumbing from the pump to the bog. I like the idea of keeping it all within the pond as well! Like I could have the pvc going from the pump > up the waterfall > through the stream > bog. Do you have pictures from when you built? so I can see how you piped it?

Thanks!

Ok, I'll definitely need to get in touch with one.
I used black flex PVC from the submersible pump across the bottom of the pond, up and over the wall between the pond and bog, then switching to regular PVC before it enters the gravel in the bog. The pump is located on the opposite side of the pond in relation to the bog. I was able to use rocks to hide most of the flex PVC going over the wall.

Flex pvc is not real flexible. How much of a radius you can form depends on the diameter, but it is flexible. It helps omit 90's, 45's, etc.

I'll give you a link to my add-on bog...you'll get the general idea and some pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ah! Ok, not what I had in my head at all. Thank you!
Like PJ, I also have all my plumbing inside the pond. I have 2 submersible pumps, 12" or more off the pond bottom. From each, I have 2 lines; one feeds a waterfall, the other feeds a bog inlet. I ran my pipes UP my waterfall and THEN added rocks to cover. I used to have a smaller pond and ran the bog line up over ground, barely buried and then up to the waterfall. It isn't that hard to hide pipe but I never wanted a leak that would drain the pond, hence ALL plumbing is now inside the pond (I did this when I expanded). I too don't have a skimmer, but my pond is enclosed with screen, so I don't get much outside debris, just what I have planted around the perimeter and I too use a pool net to get it out.

Re electricity; I ran a line from the house (my pondhouse is only about 15' from my back door, so easy) and have 4 outlets installed, all protected by GFCI.

I'd suggest two pumps, or at least have a backup in case of failure during the summer.

I use ONLY the flex pvc for all my plumbing. I do use 4" corrugated drain pipe/hose for the bog manifolds. Using all flex pvc keeps the parts number down (as it affects the head acting against your pump output) and is very durable.

Another couple of tricks I like to employ; for fillups/top ups, I use a hose timer so it doesn't overflow when I forget it's on. The second is the opposite; I use a float switch on my pumps. This float switch will drop should the water start leaking out and when it gets down to my prescribed depth (typically 8" lower than normal), it cuts the electricity to the pump.

You seem to be getting the gist of it all and have done your homework; you'll be fine and in no time, be one GIVING the advice instead of taking it!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Re electricity; I ran a line from the house (my pondhouse is only about 15' from my back door, so easy) and have 4 outlets installed, all protected by GFCI.
I'm jealous of all you skilled ones out there that can do your own electricity! I haven't checked pricing yet but I know we paid a pretty penny when we had our hot tub put in.

I'd suggest two pumps, or at least have a backup in case of failure during the summer.
Thank you. That's a good suggestion. Are you able to recommend pumps?

I use ONLY the flex pvc for all my plumbing. I do use 4" corrugated drain pipe/hose for the bog manifolds. Using all flex pvc keeps the parts number down (as it affects the head acting against your pump output) and is very durable.
Do you have photos of your initial build showing how you did things? I love love photos. I'm definitely a visual learner and things click so much faster.

Good Luck!
Thank you!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I used black flex PVC from the submersible pump across the bottom of the pond, up and over the wall between the pond and bog, then switching to regular PVC before it enters the gravel in the bog. The pump is located on the opposite side of the pond in relation to the bog. I was able to use rocks to hide most of the flex PVC going over the wall.

Flex pvc is not real flexible. How much of a radius you can form depends on the diameter, but it is flexible. It helps omit 90's, 45's, etc.

I'll give you a link to my add-on bog...you'll get the general idea and some pictures.
Thank you thank you!!! That is very helpful. I love your build photos. They definitely help me visualize what I need to do. Where the flex meets the regular PVC is that just clamps or did you glue as well? Is that stuff sold at Home Depot?

Did you post updated photos of your pond now that it's been a year? I love seeing progression. Can't wait until I'm where you all are. Sitting back with a lemonade staring at my beautiful (hopefully) work of art ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok, so I have so many things running through my head and I'm having a hard time not feeling overwhelmed. I have become obsessed with this forum and have found hours slipping away just reading on here. Addy's post alone took me quite some time to filter through! I have learned so much but yet feel like there is so much more!

Some info….I plan to build a 13 x 9 pond with the deepest part at 3’. There will be a raised bog with a 7’ stream that will waterfall into the pond. I'll have a rock shelf around the outer rim to help hide the liner. Another shelf around 12"-18" and then 3 ft bottom. Haven't decided if I should put rocks on the bottom or not. I see mixed opinions on that. (ROCK FAN HERE BUT IT DOES MAKE VACUUMING A BIT MORE WORK BUT THE KOI LOVE TO SUCK THEM UP CARRY AND DROP AFTER THEY CLEAN OFF THE ALGAE....)I want to have lots of plants ( making pockets for the liner to sit down in and control the roots is one thing I wish I had done. Like Lilly pot size so you don't see tge pots in the pond because they are recessed..)and a couple goldfish. I have a very flat yard. I’m in zone 5. I live in a neighborhood that doesn’t have a lot of trees. My backyard only has two. The closest tree is a small weeping cherry tree. Anyway, I want to keep things simple but at the same time want to get it right the first time (hopefully). Do I need something like a skimmer or is there a simpler way to prevent the pump from getting clogged with debri? I know I need to keep it raised off the bottom of the pond. I’m considering an intake bay simply because I like that it hides the pump. I just question if it’s necessary considering I don’t think many leaves will make their way in.(.......... If not leaves your fish and or turtles and frogs etc will get pulled into the pump.)

For the raised bog. I’m thinking I’ll make the sides 18 inches deep and have just the 12” of gravel. Can I just build up my dirt for the edges or should I mortar concrete blocks together? Our soil is clay. Having a drop from the bog to the pond ,................( Creating a waterfall is a must in my book the sound the glittering light . The aeration of the pond. Put lights on the falls at night. The peacefulness of the falls drowns out the neighbors traffic etc.......)

I know this depends on if I have the pump in the pond vs an intake bay. But if I have the pump in the pond will the pump hose go up and over the side of the bog that is closest to the pond or should I have it travel around the bog and go up and over on the backside of the bog (farthest away from the pond)? ........... the piping matters little once at the bottom of the bog you can split the supply lines in any and all directions. . You do want to keep tge pvc pipe away from the sides of the bog you want equal distance between the walls and other pipe so if you have a 48 inch wide bog.. then have 12 inches from tge wall to your first pipe tge 24 inches to the next pipe and 12 inches from last pipe to the other wall...........) wShould I bury the pond pump as it is on its way to the bog? If so, does the part that is buried need to be encased in pvc to protect it? ..... flex pvc is tough it does not need to be sleaved but it can get damaged at the same time.........》

For all of you with multiple pumps, aerators, fountains, etc. How do you get power to all of that? Do you just have an electrician install multiple outlets close by? You all hide things so well. I kept my power supplies short close to the house but the air pumps do the work with ptex

I'm so excited to do this and at the same time so afraid to even order a liner because I'm afraid to spend money on the wrong thing! I just need to get out there and dig but for some reason I have to have a perfect plan in my head before I can take any action.

Ask a Question