Skimmers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Been reading on Skimmers and still not sure if I should have one. My pond is 4 years old, I have the Hozelock Bio Force pump, filter, UV rays.

I am just wondering if I should have a skimmer too as from what I understand they pull debris out of the pond before it settles on the bottom?
Any thoughts? I presume you would have to empty the skimmer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
They have a net or other kind of basket inside that collects large debris and usually brushes or a pad to trap fine debris. I find mine pulls stuff out in the spring, but in the summer forget it. There are too many lily pads and other things blocking the surface for the skimmer to remove anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
I love my skimmer, it catches lots of leaves and flowers in the spring. As mentioned a place for the pump too. It acts as a prefilter also for the waterfall/stream filters. I personally would not have a pond without one. I use the Savio products.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
I use a pool skimmer, works great. Do not have a pump in it, my pump is external.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
I like the skimmer in our pond. The skimmer is in one corner and the return is in a far corner of the pond creating a slow current circulating keeping the surface free of debris. It needs cleaning on a regular basis, but this is stuff that would have eventually ended up as sludge on the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
My vote is for a skimmer as well!
I don't have trees close to the ponds but being my only mechanical filter I add extra pads in the skimmer box to keep the water clear and polished

Reaction score
We don't have a skimmer per se, but we do have a negative edge that flows into an underground water storage. That acts as a skimmer in our pond and we are happy with our design.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
We don't have a skimmer per se, but we do have a negative edge that flows into an underground water storage. That acts as a skimmer in our pond and we are happy with our design.
Sounds great! Do you recycle the water or is this like a dry well?

Reaction score
I agree with getting one. There is no downside that I know of and all the reasons mentioned to get one. Mine was not cheap but it works great. It provides water circulation, a pre filter, a place for the pump and sometimes keeps stuff out of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
I'm still not clear if how they work. I have a bioforce filter and pump etc so is a skimmer another electrical item I need? Does it have to pump water out of the pond? my bioforce does that, pumps it out into the filter system then up to the stream and back into the pond.
I am confused.com! Easy I know

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
No electricity for the skimmer. It’s just a matter of how to get water out of the park. The skimmer, in general, pulls off just the top layer of water as it enters the skimmer. Because this is where debris tends to be, it is effective at removing it. You’ve probably seen an arrangement like this in swimming pools. Most skimmers have a chamber in them as well and that is a place you can put your pump. Or, you can plumb an outlet into the skimmer which then feeds into your pump.

Reaction score
Since you don't already have a skimmer you will have to dig down on one side of the pond, put in the skimmer box behind the liner, cut the liner in front of the skimmer and then attach the liner to the skimmer so that it doesn't leak. It sounds harder to do than it actually is. Once it's in place you do as Eric said, either put your pump into the skimmer or put the pump line into the skimmer. You have to somehow make sure that the water is going through the skimmer before it gets to your filter. Think of the skimmer as you water inlet. The front of the skimmer faces the pond and the rest of it (except the top) is behind the liner and buried underground.

Attachments

Ask a Question