Skimmers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been reading on Skimmers and still not sure if I should have one. My pond is 4 years old, I have the Hozelock Bio Force pump, filter, UV rays.

I am just wondering if I should have a skimmer too as from what I understand they pull debris out of the pond before it settles on the bottom?
Any thoughts? I presume you would have to empty the skimmer?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They have a net or other kind of basket inside that collects large debris and usually brushes or a pad to trap fine debris. I find mine pulls stuff out in the spring, but in the summer forget it. There are too many lily pads and other things blocking the surface for the skimmer to remove anything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love my skimmer, it catches lots of leaves and flowers in the spring. As mentioned a place for the pump too. It acts as a prefilter also for the waterfall/stream filters. I personally would not have a pond without one. I use the Savio products.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a pool skimmer, works great. Do not have a pump in it, my pump is external.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like the skimmer in our pond. The skimmer is in one corner and the return is in a far corner of the pond creating a slow current circulating keeping the surface free of debris. It needs cleaning on a regular basis, but this is stuff that would have eventually ended up as sludge on the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My vote is for a skimmer as well!
I don't have trees close to the ponds but being my only mechanical filter I add extra pads in the skimmer box to keep the water clear and polished

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We don't have a skimmer per se, but we do have a negative edge that flows into an underground water storage. That acts as a skimmer in our pond and we are happy with our design.

Ask a Question