Skippy filter for indoor koi aquarium

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just want some thoughts on hooking up a Skippy type filter for a 90 gallon aquarium to keep my 50+ baby koi till Spring. Does the bacteria need sunlight to work? I would like to put it in the cabinet that the tank sits on. I guess I could put a grow light of some sort, if I have to.
Comments, please!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no, sunlight is not a requirement for the bacteria's survival. i use a 55 gal filter on my 800 gal basement pond every year. i dont know how you can use a skippy filter or any gravity return filter, locating it under the aquarium tho....i would think a pressure filter (canister filter) would be a neccessity for that. but heres a video of my basement pond and 55 gal skippy style filter....from a couple years ago...fish were a bit smaller then.
http://www.youtube.c.../23/h8xhYxBBbYg

Reaction score
Thanks for the video, Koiguy! Your Koi are just so beautiful. I fell asleep last night trying to think of a design, but just couldn't do it........LOL
The tank came with some dinousaur filters. I've been trying to get some kind of gph flow rate on them, but just can't. There are two Eugene Danner Superking 1550 rpm, 1/75 hp. I've seen a couple things on the internet about them, all good. I will just go ahead and work with them and see what happens.

I set up the 90 gal. last week with treated tap water and put 4 babies in it. It just showed a little ammonia yesterday, but I don't have time to wait for it to cycle so
I took out 3/4 of the tank water and put pond water in the tank yesterday and a couple sponges from my Skippy into the filter. Do you think I could go ahead and put the babies in there, or should I wait? I do have 4 babies in there now. Just tested the water and it matches my pond....all zero.

The 20 gal. with all the babies in it tests all zero except Nitrates....which I'm struggling to keep at 20 or below. Lots of water changes.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Bayea, Filtration for Bio-filtration does not require light, in fact most bacteria grow better in dark enclosures. But as far as building a skippy design for a tank, I'm not sure about that as well, It would almost need to be built higher than the tank itself to gavity feed back to the tank. I use magnum 330 canister filters on my 75 gallon aquarium and 30 gallon aquarium. been using all three (two on the 75 one on the 30) for well over ten years. On the 75 I do rotate cleaning one one month the other the next so as to keep the biofilter very active in at least one filter at a time, You would have to design some type of sponge or finer screen to prevent fry from being sucked in but that's a easy fix. as for stocking your tank, if possible make sure it has cycled completely just as you would a pond. Try not to stock a bunch of fish at the same time, Once your fully cycled, (4-6 weeks after start up in most cases) add a dozen or so fish, watch and monitor water quality for about 4-7 days, once it has settled do a small water change (10%) then add the next dozen or so. adding to many at one time can overload the bacteria, let them catch up to the load of fish. You don't want to have to change large amounts of water for the bacteria to catch up to a overstocked tank if it can be avoided. . Also it wouldn't hurt to add a bacteria supplement to your tank to help kickstart the bacteria, You are already doing this by adding filter media from an exsisting functioning filter. But adding a good bacteria supplement will give you better results as the bacteria bloom from the supplement will kickstart bacteria all in the tank, not just in the filter itself. Also most have enzymes added that help break down waste, this is good as it will help breakdown extra waste as your stocking the tank. Be sure and monitor your ammonia and nitrite closely, the fish and tank will dictate when it's necessary to do water changes.

Reaction score
Thanks......... I swapped out 75% of the aquarium water yesterday with pond water and put sponges from the pond into the filter......I forgot to mention that I did put Microbe Lift PL bacteria on the sponges as well. I should be off to a good start. I'll see how it goes with the two Eugene filters, they are a little noisey as they have been sitting in someones basement for several years. They need to be oiled every three months. I have oiled them and they did quiet down a bit. I'm going to oil them a little more tonight.

I've been looking at wet/dry sump filters as well.........what do you all think about those? Kind of looks like it works like a Skippy filter to me....

Ask a Question