Skippy update.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Well as many of you have recommended and use, I finally installed my flush valve. Wow after only having that filter up and running since May, there sure was a lot of muck in the bottom of that thing. I didn't have the room to put a shower drain like most so I had to settle with a 2" bulk head fitting. I screwed in a 1 1/4 " male adapter and ran the plumbing in 1 1/4 pipe. Came out with a 90 and a short piece of pipe to the ball valve and piped it to dump in the hard behind the filter. It also gave me tome to relevel the filter since the dirt had settled a bit.

Attachments

• IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
Hmmmm......I'm very technicaly slow. I need to install one on my Skippy filter as well. Did you use the original drain plug area that is on the stock tank?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
No, the drain plug is only a 1" fitting so at best you might be able to run half inch pipe which wouldnt give you the suction that you need. I'm sure that mine isn't big enough for the right suction but its better than nothing and I don't want to redo my whole filter setup and waterfall. My output from the filter feeds the waterfall and its gravity feed. I used a 2 3/8" hole saw for my bulk head fitting.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
When you add the drain valve ,plan for the cold weather
I would cut Brandons pipe between the male adapter and the 90 and use a rubber cap for the winter
Then put the valve back on in the spring with a No hub cpl

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you dont run the filter in cold weather, then dont worry about it
A nohub cpl just tightens with a nut driver, The same with the rubber cap
I take my drain valves off before cold weather sets in, the still water in the drain will freeze quick
and the valve wont turn, and most likely will crack
A rubber cap comes off easy and lets me drain the filter if i do have to shut it down

Ask a Question