Skippy vs bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pump is external and is in between the pond and the bog . so the pump pulls water from the pond pushes it to the red pipe on the left pushes the water to the bottom of the bog where it is dumped in to and open area where the water is to sit and let any materials or debris fall out of the water column. it then is pushed upward slowly slides through a layer of rock and roots where the plants do there thing along with the nitrifying bacteria. it then goes to the lowest point where the water drops out of the bog in the means of a water fall drops into a stream down to a separation pond where it then drops into the pond . here's a video for a easier way to get the picture ok well the link seems to not be working so copy this address and just add a H to the beginning of the address ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TClzH15bNuU

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
There used to be a web site from the folks who came up with this filter, but I couldn’t find it when I searched. I honestly don’t remember where they were located. But I do recall that they named it “Skippy” after a family pet frog — yes, frog (see, I remember the important stuff, y’all!). Just for kicks I’ll keep searching because it bugs me that I can’t find it.
I can't find the site either but i remember them mentioning their cat they nicknamed Iron Ernie. The symbol for iron is Fe but in Ernies case it stood for frog eater. I think i laughed way too hard when i read that

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pump is external and is in between the pond and the bog . so the pump pulls water from the pond pushes it to the red pipe on the left pushes the water to the bottom of the bog where it is dumped in to and open area where the water is to sit and let any materials or debris fall out of the water column. it then is pushed upward slowly slides through a layer of rock and roots where the plants do there thing along with the nitrifying bacteria. it then goes to the lowest point where the water drops out of the bog in the means of a water fall drops into a stream down to a separation pond where it then drops into the pond . here's a video for a easier way to get the picture ok well the link seems to not be working so copy this address and just add a H to the beginning of the address ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TClzH15bNuU
Holy moly your pond is fabulous! I've never seen a more natural looking man made pond. Waterfalls everywhere! How many pumps do you have going? Is the bog your only filter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the compliment.
One main pump 12000 gph
Plus a small pump that just brings the water out from the cistern / the disappearing waterfall its only like 500gph i think. its just a rain collection system. Yes two bogs a 6x8 peastone bog and a 10 x18 matrix bog with a double chamber

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the compliment.
One main pump 12000 gph
Plus a small pump that just brings the water out from the cistern / the disappearing waterfall its only like 500gph i think. its just a rain collection system. Yes two bogs a 6x8 peastone bog and a 10 x18 matrix bog with a double chamber
I visited Nelson's Water Gardens yesterday and got some good info on building my bog. I'm sure I'll have LOTS of questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Im not familiar with there style. Only from what others have said they should do. I would post your questions yes.

Ask a Question