Sweet potato vine in my skippy filter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I have a skippy filter in my small pond. It is on a shelf. The water pumps in the bottom and then flows over the top. I had what I thought was the right pump, but the wife complained the water noise wasn't enough. So I put in a bigger pump giving more water noise and higher flow.

I wonder if I can root sweet potato vine in the top of my skippy. Any thoughts on this? If not, any other ideas?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sure! You can put pretty much any pond plant in the filter - floating plants, marginals, etc. Just watch the roots - they can take over and be tough to dislodge!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wonder if I can root sweet potato vine in the top of my skippy. Any thoughts on this? If not, any other ideas?
Give it try no harm if does not make it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I was afraid of brisk flow would negate being able to grow anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I put impatiens in the rocks on the side of my waterfall and they are growing great. Only had one wash out from the rocks into the pond. I would give the vine a try, it should look nice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1565879781042.gif
@mrick

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put impatiens in the rocks on the side of my waterfall and they are growing great. Only had one wash out from the rocks into the pond. I would give the vine a try, it should look nice.
Thanks for this. I assume you just gently removed the dirt and left the bare root.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I have Water Hyacinth growing in my skippy. It's doing better than all the other WH.

Ask a Question