Slate Flagstone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I think I'll use the larger heavier pieces around the edge and the smaller pieces furthest from the edge that way they don't get knocked in the pond so easily.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I think I'll use the larger heavier pieces around the edge and the smaller pieces furthest from the edge that way they don't get knocked in the pond so easily.
When you place them have the pond edge slightly tipped up, i.e. the non pond edge just slight dug in. It helps keep them from slipping into the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When you place them have the pond edge slightly tipped up, i.e. the non pond edge just slight dug in. It helps keep them from slipping into the pond.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking too. I do have a pretty good slope leading away from the edge of the pond to prevent any runoff from entering the ponds. That should help kee the slate from falling in. I was just wondering if the slate will slide around on the excess liner that hangs over the pond edge. How much excess liner should I allow to hang over my edge anyways?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can fold it under. I tend to not trim liner, seems like down the road you may need it.
Did you dig a shallow shelf to place rocks on? Like two inches under the water. The rocks would be partly in the water, partly out. A great way to hide the liner coming out of the pond. Those rocks on the shallow shelf would help support the pond side edge of the flagstone.
The frogs love to sit on those rocks.

upload_2017-10-27_7-48-22.png

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
My original plan is to surround the outer edge of my pond with flagstone rocks. I'm running into issues trying to get them to lay correctly on the liner that overhangs outside the pond. Plus some stones are thinner than others so I need to raise them up with a bit of sand or something. My only concern is all this sand going to end up in my pond the first time it rains? I do have a slight angle along the edge of the pond tapering away from it so things wash away from the pond instead of into it. Has anyone used flagstone around the entire edge of their pond? Do you have any helpful tips? Should I trim the liner back some? It overhangs 2 feet in some spots but I thought it would make a good weed barrier. I eventually plan on planting moss between all the flagstones.
I used "stones" made of cement that I got at the Home Depot and used mortar to set them in. The mortar filled in the gap and once set, made to whole edge of the pond super sturdy. Sturdy enough to support my full weight. And I ran my plumbing underneath it.
Once they've aged a bit, I'm thinking that both the "stones" and the cement will look natural(ISH) and I'm thinking that creeping vines, etc will grab onto the cements rough texture.
(Oh, and these are also a lot cheaper!)

Attachments

• 20170818_184658.jpg
    20170818_184658.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 20170816_184012.jpg
    20170816_184012.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can fold it under. I tend to not trim liner, seems like down the road you may need it.
Did you dig a shallow shelf to place rocks on? Like two inches under the water. The rocks would be partly in the water, partly out. A great way to hide the liner coming out of the pond. Those rocks on the shallow shelf would help support the pond side edge of the flagstone.
The frogs love to sit on those rocks.

View attachment 105760

Ugh! No I didn't do a shelf the whole way around! I wish I would have. I have a shelf on my shallow end for the toads and birds to get in and out. I have another shelf down by my deep end but it's probably a foot and a half deep. I have both of those shelves covered in rocks. I guess it's not too late to add that little ledge all the way around though. I'd have to let my water evaporate a few inches and pull back my liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used "stones" made of cement that I got at the Home Depot and used mortar to set them in. The mortar filled in the gap and once set, made to whole edge of the pond super sturdy. Sturdy enough to support my full weight. And I ran my plumbing underneath it.
Once they've aged a bit, I'm thinking that both the "stones" and the cement will look natural(ISH) and I'm thinking that creeping vines, etc will grab onto the cements rough texture.
(Oh, and these are also a lot cheaper!)

This looks really nice! The only reason I'm using the slate is because I bought my pond used and the lady gave me an obnoxious amount of slate too. I think I could use a mortar on it just like this though!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess it's not too late to add that little ledge all the way around though. I'd have to let my water evaporate a few inches and pull back my liner.
It would be worth it, in my opinion. Really hides the liner nicely. As your water level changes a bit you will never be looking at liner hanging out.
You could just do a section at a time, push the liner out away from the wall, do some careful digging, lay the liner back down, move to the next spot.
On that shelf, under water, make sure it is lower towards the wall, higher towards the water, that way the rocks don't slide into the pond.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
This looks really nice! The only reason I'm using the slate is because I bought my pond used and the lady gave me an obnoxious amount of slate too. I think I could use a mortar on it just like this though!
Lucky you!!
I would have used slate also, except that the costs were rising on the project and the slate was at least 12 times more expensive.
And the ledge was all but impossible because of the sand and rock substrate. The sand fell in on itself with every shovel full of it. The walls of the pond had to be sprayed with water and kept wet so that they wouldn't cave in and slip down into a slope.
It was all very difficult.
If/when I build another one. I think I'll line the walls with bricks or something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a very small ledge with rocks on it, the herons have not used it.

Don't the herons stay away from rocks? I have both of my plant shelves covered with field stone for babies to hide in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would have used slate also, except that the costs were rising on the project and the slate was at least 12 times more expensive.

YES! I got incredibly lucky! The pond is 20' by 10'. I got the liner, waterfall box with built in filter, the underwater pump, a bio filter, Four 12" butterfly koi fish, a large black molly fish, about $1,000 worth of slate rock, all the food, cleaners and chemicals she had, waterlillies, cork screw grass, extra plant baskets, a floating basket, a fountain, 2 koi water spitters, a concrete water spitter of two otters, a plastic floating toad on a foam lily pad, a 10'x20' net, vacuum, a few pond books. She also gave me pond silicone, extra tubing, black pond foam. You'll never believe I paid $200 for EVERYTHING! We just had to help drain it and move it all. Luckily we live really close to them! I got all of the field stone I needed for free from a local farmer. I just had to pick it all up out of the field. The only thing I'm missing is a skimmer and araetor. I just bought a pond breather for winter after all the nice folks here recommended it. I'll definetely have a skimmer before summer hits! So far I'm only out $300 and I am really loving my pond. I've wanted one for years!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no need for a skimmer if you don't get alot of stuff falling in the pond .I just use a swimming pool net .aerator will be needed .

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
YES! I got incredibly lucky! The pond is 20' by 10'. I got the liner, waterfall box with built in filter, the underwater pump, a bio filter, Four 12" butterfly koi fish, a large black molly fish, about $1,000 worth of slate rock, all the food, cleaners and chemicals she had, waterlillies, cork screw grass, extra plant baskets, a floating basket, a fountain, 2 koi water spitters, a concrete water spitter of two otters, a plastic floating toad on a foam lily pad, a 10'x20' net, vacuum, a few pond books. She also gave me pond silicone, extra tubing, black pond foam. You'll never believe I paid $200 for EVERYTHING! We just had to help drain it and move it all. Luckily we live really close to them! I got all of the field stone I needed for free from a local farmer. I just had to pick it all up out of the field. The only thing I'm missing is a skimmer and araetor. I just bought a pond breather for winter after all the nice folks here recommended it. I'll definetely have a skimmer before summer hits! So far I'm only out $300 and I am really loving my pond. I've wanted one for years!
Wow.
My project came in at Over A grand.
Including the $200 I payed to have a teenage neighbor help me dig and haul rocks and dirt.

Ask a Question