Slate rock

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am curious about putting slate rock in my pond or in my bog. When I build one what is your opinion. It's small and smooth from the lake where all of my other rocks are from. All my rocks are hand picked from KY TN and VA.

Attachments

• 20220324_160658.jpg
    20220324_160658.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't see any problem, necessarily. Flattened 'shingle' stones settle down more tightly, which is fine for stability, though more trouble if the rocks need to be dug into later for any reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Put a decent geo fabric over your liner and you'll be fine with those stones, I think. You don’t want tight-packing gravel in your bog, though. Will hinder flow and oxygenation.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with @ combatwombat avoid in the bog if it will pack and lock together like 57’s stone does.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ABSOLUTLY NOT is my response i have had multiple cuts from broken slate tiles sliding down a roof as id put my hand out to catch / stop them and slate can be as sharp or sharper than a surgical knife. and in the bog unlike a fresh water tank looking for surface area . the bog needs rounded rock and in layers starting with 1-3 and graduating to 3/4 and 3/8. i should change that thats a matrix layering a peastone bog is 3/4 or 3/4 vand 3/8 mixed or just 3/8

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
ABSOLUTLY NOT is my response i have had multiple cuts from broken slate tiles sliding down a roof as id put my hand out to catch / stop them and slate can be as sharp or sharper than a surgical knife. and in the bog unlike a fresh water tank looking for surface area . the bog needs rounded rock and in layers starting with 1-3 and graduating to 3/4 and 3/8. i should change that thats a matrix layering a peastone bog is 3/4 or 3/4 vand 3/8 mixed or just 3/8
I was wondering where they was rounded from the lake but I do understand if I have to get into pond how easy it breaks and then would be sharp I have been on a few slate roofs myself I should know better

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rounded rock is more common then you think it's river or oceanic and the rocks are tumbled by the water over years of currents

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was actually at lake hunting driftwood and saw the slate lines where the lake was dropped over the winter and how beautiful it looked and was curious

Ask a Question