First Rock Delivery!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I plan to start a build thread, however, had a rock guy I have been talking to call and say he could deliver today. This was meant to be my boulder delivery and boy did he come through! There are some big rocks, right up to some I can just barely move. I am excited and a bit overwhelmed at the moment after seeing this pile.

Some thoughts I am having:

I need to make my pond bigger!!! This 15x15 pond may just be full of rock with no room for water. I dont know yet if that is an option but i crossed my mind.

Moving these around by hand and positioning in the pond. I have a hand truck and pry bar but any other tips will be appreciated. Going to try this without heavy equipment but we will see.

Can I break some of these into smaller pieces if needed? Sledge hammer?

Here are some pic off different perspectives as well as my intended poind and bog layout.

I think I should have enough to make my bog higher and still make it look natural and use some of these big boulders for a retaining wall. That would also get me a bit more of a waterfall back into the pond.

Rick pile 3.jpg
Rock Pile 1.jpg
Rock pile 2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I plan to start a build thread, however, had a rock guy I have been talking to call and say he could deliver today. This was meant to be my boulder delivery and boy did he come through! There are some big rocks, right up to some I can just barely move. I am excited and a bit overwhelmed at the moment after seeing this pile.

Some thoughts I am having:

I need to make my pond bigger!!! This 15x15 pond may just be full of rock with no room for water. I dont know yet if that is an option but i crossed my mind.

Moving these around by hand and positioning in the pond. I have a hand truck and pry bar but any other tips will be appreciated. Going to try this without heavy equipment but we will see.

Here are some pic off different perspectives as well as my intended poind and bog layout.

I think I should have enough to make my bog higher and still make it look natural and use some of these big boulders for a retaining wall. That would also get me a bit more of a waterfall back into the pond.

View attachment 148234View attachment 148233View attachment 148232
You have to be off the wall excited with those beautiful boulders!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
You probably will have to make your pond bigger. Originally my pond was supposed to be 1500 gallons but by the time they formed shelves and put in all of the rock I was left with only a 900 gallon pond:(

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You probably will have to make your pond bigger. Originally my pond was supposed to be 1500 gallons but by the time they formed shelves and put in all of the rock I was left with only a 900 gallon pond:(
Yes, very excited! I need to pick through the pile and see what I have. A lot of them could be leaned against the pond wall and take up less room. The big square boulders I could use outside the pond and of course I dont have to use all of them. Some of these are big enough I can do a top shelf and then go right to the bottom to created a deep pool at the viewing area which would be nice. lots of options and now that I know what I have to work with I can start digging!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a score you got that pile for $60 ? Score of the year........ that pile is just barely enough to rock a 15x15 with a bog ....... did you find out if it is granite or lime stone? from these pics could be either. but it is definitely competent rock

this week 60 bucks next week 160.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, mossy too. People pay big bucks for rocks with moss on 'em already. Never understood it. Moss grows on everything around here whether you want it to or not.

Maybe get some rigging straps. Allows you to lift big rocks off the ground without bending over to get them and move them little bits at a time using your whole body. Much easier on the body. Some people will sling them around with a piece of spare liner or underlayment. And sometimes you just need another person to help.

Pro tip: Don't always go for most square feet per rock. When you have a pond full of flat rocks stood on edge, it looks weird. Nature doesn't do that. Works great in tight spaces and with other large rocks pinning them in, but it's a technique to use sparingly.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What a score you got that pile for $60 ? Score of the year........ that pile is just barely enough to rock a 15x15 with a bog ....... did you find out if it is granite or lime stone? from these pics could be either. but it is definitely competent rock

this week 60 bucks next week 160.
This was from a local guy I found. NOT $60! But, got it for $400 thanks to the fuel prices lately. The rock at my BIL was 2hrs away and IMO this is nicer, no limestone.
This is approx 7 ton. Was thinking another 2-3ton of cobble (6-12”)and 2ton 1-3” river rock. Think that will do it?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, mossy too. People pay big bucks for rocks with moss on 'em already. Never understood it. Moss grows on everything around here whether you want it to or not.

Maybe get some rigging straps. Allows you to lift big rocks off the ground without bending over to get them and move them little bits at a time using your whole body. Much easier on the body. Some people will sling them around with a piece of spare liner or underlayment. And sometimes you just need another person to help.

Pro tip: Don't always go for most square feet per rock. When you have a pond full of flat rocks stood on edge, it looks weird. Nature doesn't do that. Works great in tight spaces and with other large rocks pinning them in, but it's a technique to use sparingly.
Good idea using the straps! I will try and vary how I place them and mix up the sizes.

I told him the more moss the better. These were part of an old rock wall, I believe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Food for thought, in my showcase there's a bit of everything . before you put a shovel to the ground it could be worth looking at.

I need to make my pond bigger!!! This 15x15 pond may just be full of rock with no room for water. I don't know yet if that is an option but i crossed my mind.
those rocks will take up about 3 feet of the pond so if you want 15x15 your looking at 18x18

USING A Heavy duty underlayment and creating a basket similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Stren-Flex-WB1-908-8-Basket-Capacity-Length/dp/B00AIW5ERO/ref=sr_1_49?crid=UGMUQCKXZOCK&keywords=nylon+basket+sling&qid=1646780183&sprefix=nylon+basket+sling,aps,87&sr=8-49
is a easier way of moving two man boulders :takes two men! the nice part about it is non woven slides nicly across grass or dry soils put down a strip on the ground long enough to get to the pond from the pile and slide across that is even better. Better than that even is to get a mini excavator WITH A THUMB is a must ask @combatwombat WHO'S BARNEY DID NOT HAVE A THUMB HOW MUCH HE WISHED IT HAD?

i would not recommend epdm as a basket though it will lift a boulder that size once the rock punctures the rubber the smallest bit it can rip wide open without warning, underlayment will not.
Nor would i use a endless sling to wrap around and lift rocks by hand.
easiest way to set the bigger boulders that size would be to have them on some fabric that has a good two feet sticking out from under the boulder , lower that into the pond with the rock and leave the fabric under the rock.

Can I break some of these into smaller pieces if needed? Sledge hammer? yes but no small task................ Your better off bribing a friend or neighbor. Or wait for it RENT AN EXCAVATOR WITH A THUMB !

Here are some pic off different perspectives as well as my intended pond and bog layout. only see one photo i would lean toward a narrower and longer set up in the front the round pond just doesn't do as much visually as would a pond that circled your existing and with the sidewalk light, and i'd go with an intake bay instead of a skimmer . but while it's more work it's less money and maintenance. the other reason it is so much easier to keep a narrow pond clean the pump will give more current to a narrower pond that goldfish and koi love. A three foot deep will be easy to build with those size rocks. the other suggestion i always give is don't make the shelves around the pond all the same don't make it 12 or 18 inches wide all the way around the pond at the same level make a three foot wide shelf here or there and throw some river rock on it great place for A lilly as it would probably be 16 to 24 " deep

That pile will disappear quickly
Screenshot_20220308-182020_Gallery[9335].jpg

Last edited:

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Food for thought, in my showcase there's a bit of everything . before you put a shovel to the ground it could be worth looking at.

those rocks will take up about 3 feet of the pond so if you want 15x15 your looking at 18x18

USING A Heavy duty underlayment and creating a basket similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Stren-Flex-WB1-908-8-Basket-Capacity-Length/dp/B00AIW5ERO/ref=sr_1_49?crid=UGMUQCKXZOCK&keywords=nylon+basket+sling&qid=1646780183&sprefix=nylon+basket+sling,aps,87&sr=8-49
is a easier way of moving two man boulders :takes two men! the nice part about it is non woven slides nicly across grass or dry soils put down a strip on the ground long enough to get to the pond from the pile and slide across that is even better. Better than that even is to get a mini excavator WITH A THUMB is a must ask @combatwombat WHO'S BARNEY DID NOT HAVE A THUMB HOW MUCH HE WISHED IT HAD?

i would not recommend epdm as a basket though it will lift a boulder that size once the rock punctures the rubber the smallest bit it can rip wide open without warning, underlayment will not.
Nor would i use a endless sling to wrap around and lift rocks by hand.
easiest way to set the bigger boulders that size would be to have them on some fabric that has a good two feet sticking out from under the boulder , lower that into the pond with the rock and leave the fabric under the rock.

Can I break some of these into smaller pieces if needed? Sledge hammer? yes but no small task................ Your better off bribing a friend or neighbor. Or wait for it RENT AN EXCAVATOR WITH A THUMB !

Here are some pic off different perspectives as well as my intended pond and bog layout. only see one photo i would lean toward a narrower and longer set up in the front the round pond just doesn't do as much visually as would a pond that circled your existing and with the sidewalk light, and i'd go with an intake bay instead of a skimmer . but while it's more work it's less money and maintenance. the other reason it is so much easier to keep a narrow pond clean the pump will give more current to a narrower pond that goldfish and koi love. A three foot deep will be easy to build with those size rocks. the other suggestion i always give is don't make the shelves around the pond all the same don't make it 12 or 18 inches wide all the way around the pond at the same level make a three foot wide shelf here or there and throw some river rock on it great place for A lilly as it would probably be 16 to 24 " deep

That pile will disappear quickly
View attachment 148241
Thanks @GBBUDD, funny you mention your showcase I was thinking after i got these rocks delivered that I needed to check it out.

I am actually planning an intake Bay. Attaching another picture that I marked up to better illustrate my current plan. Hopefully, you can see it.

I do like the mark up you did of my front yard. Its actually similar to what I had originally planned (pic below). I decided against it because I really like the bog in the front landscaping bed to the right below the right two windows. The issue is I wouldnt be able to create a slope away from the foundation. I guess I could bury some drainage tile between the bog and the foundation but I dont know if that is recommended. If I put the bog in front of the front bed it would be directly over the clean out for my septic and I dont want to do that either...lol. I guess I should check code for how far away from my foundation the slope needs to be before i have a negative grade. I could maybe do like 2 feet slope then drainage tile and bog edge, or even a small stream. It slopes down away from the house at that section of the front yard too.

That walkway light was actually going to be my power supply, so planning on removing it unless I end up going with a plan to leave it there.

Attachments

• Pond markup.jpg
    Pond markup.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Pond design.png
    Pond design.png
    213 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This was from a local guy I found. NOT $60! But, got it for $400 thanks to the fuel prices lately. The rock at my BIL was 2hrs away and IMO this is nicer, no limestone.
This is approx 7 ton. Was thinking another 2-3ton of cobble (6-12”)and 2ton 1-3” river rock. Think that will do it?
The waterfall doesn't need to be 4 feet high 2 feet high can make an amazing falls. mine is barely over a foot . but my back yard was twice as steep as your pitch .

Your right about keeping the bog away from the house , particularly if your doing a planted bog . they will shade tye siding where mold and rot will benefit. Double the 7 ton build up the down hill edge of the bog . that and the spoils from the dig of the pond and the bog you should have plenty of soil to get the grade to a foot drop if not twice that. In the show case you can see where the matrix bog was placed it's pretty much on virgin soil and the side that.s high is the build up from the spoils. John j from modern design aquascapes on you tube has some great videos i'd watch his and some others on how to make a water fall look real and streams i put some crazy builds here https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/some-very-impressive-pond-builds.26353/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks @GBBUDD, funny you mention your showcase I was thinking after i got these rocks delivered that I needed to check it out.

I am actually planning an intake Bay. Attaching another picture that I marked up to better illustrate my current plan. Hopefully, you can see it.

I do like the mark up you did of my front yard. Its actually similar to what I had originally planned (pic below). I decided against it because I really like the bog in the front landscaping bed to the right below the right two windows. The issue is I wouldnt be able to create a slope away from the foundation. I guess I could bury some drainage tile between the bog and the foundation but I dont know if that is recommended. If I put the bog in front of the front bed it would be directly over the clean out for my septic and I dont want to do that either...lol. I guess I should check code for how far away from my foundation the slope needs to be before i have a negative grade. I could maybe do like 2 feet slope then drainage tile and bog edge, or even a small stream. It slopes down away from the house at that section of the front yard too.

That walkway light was actually going to be my power supply, so planning on removing it unless I end up going with a plan to leave it there.
yeah the first drawing in red is backwards for sure you want the intake on the low side of the pond and the bog works best on the high. like your second picture shows

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As far as power goes you'll need to add a gfci if you don't have one already and you can probably pull in a larger wire if you have conduit to the light. either way its a short distance if you needed a new line. I'd probably leave the planter and light as it will look like it was all blended together and look like it was always there if the pond goes around it

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel

Most folks here will tell you that bigger is always better! Seemingly it's true for ponds as well ;-)
If you make your outside rock ledges wider, then use the larger stones for that top ledge and the smaller ones further down, you won't use up as much water volume.

I'm in the same situation here, having to move some two-man boulders around by one person (a 60 year-old grannie with an attitude). I've found a couple of tools to be indispensable for this: 1. A come-along (manual winch), plus some sturdy trees to attach it to; 2. several good quality 2-ton towing and lifting straps; 3. a 2-ton endless loop for strapping the rocks; 4. a couple of pieces of old underlayment to put under rocks to drag them across the ground.

You can also make a sledge using straight round branches on the ground with boards laid across them. As you drag the rock, you move the end pole around to the front.

The main issue will be getting the rocks placed just so on top of your liner, where you don't want to be dragging them across the liner and damaging it. In my case, I'll be rolling/dragging the rocks into place just above their intended placement, then wrapping them in underlayment and rolling them into place with some sturdy boards placed under them to direct where they go. But I've also thought of building a tripod (see this video for one example:
). I've seen these used to good advantage in Japanese garden making, where access is tight.

Yes indeed! The easiest way to break them is to use "feather wedges" and a sledge hammer. Draw a line across where you want the rock to break, preferably following the rock's natural fissures. Drill a series of holes 10-15 cm apart along your line, insert the wedges into the holes, and pound them in with the hammer, giving each wedge a tap before going to the next one (to keep the pressure evenly spread). Depending on the nature of the stone, it should eventually break along the line of holes.

Another advantage of making the high point (bog and waterfall) toward the back is that the change in height will trick the eye into thinking it's farther away, and thus, much larger than it really is. If you widen the pond out a bit and push everything back a bit, you'll get that extra volume while also playing with perspective in some creative ways.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As far as power goes you'll need to add a gfci if you don't have one already and you can probably pull in a larger wire if you have conduit to the light. either way its a short distance if you needed a new line. I'd probably leave the planter and light as it will look like it was all blended together and look like it was always there if the pond goes around it
From my basement it looks like the grey underground feeder wire was used and I dont think there is a GFCI in line, so I would need to add one. I will just splice it and run more wire to where I decide to mount the receptacle. I kinda like the idea of having the pond right up against the walkway and the pond will have lights.

Ask a Question