Snails changing color check water parameters, duh!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Currently my “pond” is still the 1200 gallon Intex pool. For a while I’ve noticed that some of the “rams horn-type” snails have been turning white ( the Trapdoors aren’t, though), so decided to GOOGLE that. Well, apparently snails are good bioindicators, as this can happen when that pH/GH/KH cycle gets messed up. I haven’t checked my water parameters in ages (and my test kits were all way expired, so got new stuff). All of my parameters were great….except my KH and GH — which were VERY low. In my past pond, I kept crushed oyster shells in the bog, because I normally run with a low KH. Sooooo….about to add the oyster shells to my Skippy (waiting on mesh bags from Amazon).

Apparently my pH has been fairly stable cause there are no problems with the fish or plants, so looks like I’m nipping it in the bud — thanks to some snails. Lesson learned to check water more often than once a year:eek:

Ask a Question