addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yuck not me no escargot, no frog legs lol Snails and frogs are safe from me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
this was a good thread to find. i have been wondering who has been using snails for algae control and how to decide the right amount

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put in around 100 for my pond of 9-10k gallons. I read one per 20 gallons was a good ratio.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put in 5 this spring lost one and have not seen the others since putting them in there. It is my understanding that the trapdoors do not spread as fast like the other type of snails. I will tell you that the one that died smelled really really bad...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have Trapdoor snad3
I 'm thinking of getting a few trapdoor snails for the pond. Is it a good idea or not? My wife is afraid the pond will be overrun with them in no time.

Thanks
Trapdoor snails have 1 or 2 babies so they do not overrun the pond. I've had them in my ponds for years. They are about 1 and a half inches and my Koi do not eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
This is an old thread but I still find it relevant. My small pond is loaded with two types of black snails that multiply like crazy. They came in from the first lily plant I bought and munch on the algae. Once I get more fish I'm sure the amount will decline. I have no idea on the species but they came from a pretty well known pond source. The largest are about 1 inch.

pond_life_013.jpg

pond_life_014.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is an old thread but I still find it relevant. My small pond is loaded with two types of black snails that multiply like crazy. They came in from the first lily plant I bought and munch on the algae. Once I get more fish I'm sure the amount will decline. I have no idea on the species but they came from a pretty well known pond source. The largest are about 1 inch.

View attachment 153638

View attachment 153639
Looks to be Bladder snail and ramshorn, their population will wax and wane with their food source.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I 'm thinking of getting a few trapdoor snails for the pond. Is it a good idea or not? My wife is afraid the pond will be overrun with them in no time.

Thanks
OMG!! I would not recommend introducing snails. My pond naturally has snails and they block my bog filters clean out spout all the time. They are a nuisance.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
OMG!! I would not recommend introducing snails. My pond naturally has snails and they block my bog filters clean out spout all the time. They are a nuisance.
Depends on the snail being introduced, just Willy nilly adding things to your pond and not understanding what you are introducing iand how it affects your aquatic habitat Is asking for trouble. All ponds will end up with snails, their eggs will come in on pretty much any aquatic plant or pot with plants you introduce. They need a food source to have a huge population it can’t happen without that.

Ask a Question