So many much lettuce and lillies I don't see the koi very well!

Reaction score
Shall I remove some of the water lettuce so I can see the koi easier? It also has lilies which have been blooming! Just looking for the best solution! This is in my front pond with the smaller koi and lots of plants, then a waterfall down to the big pond with the biggest koi and no plants there! I keep all 1500 gallons covered up at night so the koi stay safe! Thanks for your ideas for me!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Its really up to you.

If it were me, I would definitely thin it out a bit. Plants are great but when it gets to be too much, its not worth a pond you can't get to see.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I do this sometimes when thinning out some of the ponds. the bigger koi like the roots! I like at 60% or more coverage for the plants, it gives so much more shade and hiding spots for the fish. In most ponds with this much coverage you rarely see green ponds!

Reaction score
There has been research that shows too much plant coverage is not good because it can block air and gas exchange, causing low levels of oxygen in the pond. This may be overcome by your waterfall... I don't know.

Ask a Question