So. Many. Tadpoles.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I left town for a few days for the holiday weekend and came home to an EXPLOSION of tadpoles. As in, probably thousands of them! This is the third year of my pond and the first I've had tadpoles. I haven't yet added fish, but plan to add a couple goldfish. Sadly, all my koi died over the harsh Midwest winter.

So...I'm not sure what, if anything, to do about all these tadpoles. Will they all survive without fish to eat them?? Is it bad for the pond to have this many? And do I let nature take its course or try to remove some of them?

There was a storm while I was gone that must've caused a power loss because the pond pump was off when I got home (and clocks inside were flashing). Will they clog up filters when I turn it on and they get sucked into the filtration system? I can't believe how many there are!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you think about it long enough, the problem will take care of itself! They will quickly become little frogs and carry on with their lives elsewhere.

There is a potential that they could get sucked into the pump - what's your set up like? How big is your pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get a ton of all sort of frog eggs, they become tads, they eventually are just gone. It has never bothered the pond. The green frogs become larger tads that over winter. The next year they become frogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can try making an external poop filter, a bit of screen with quilt batting or the green reusable air filter things over your intake.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just go with the flow of Nature..... in a couple of weeks you will have thousands of these little guys hopping around.....
3D5940D4-1BBC-4202-9123-F377E59E4395.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built a frog pond for my grandsons it's only about a hundred and twenty-five gallons and there's five frogs in there. Haven't seen any frog eggs yet are the baby fish eating them? Just felt they were too small to put in big pond safely LOL

Ask a Question