addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anything that grows there naturally might work in your bog area. I have put in land grasses, land flowers, day lilies they do great. All you need to do is collect and give them a try.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my tomato plant sucked when grown in the bog. Might be because I did not have a lot of poop makers then.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a low fish load, and tons of bog plants that use up every bit of nutrients. You might do better than me.

Reaction score
Any kind of general rule for fish vs plants?

Koi are pretty much out of the question for me unfortunately, as the fish will have to come inside for the winter and I just don't have the space or money to house several of them indoors after a year or 2 and I'd hate to throw them into a tiny tank.

Still not really sure what I want to put in there, our selection up here is pretty slim, and will probably be some flavor of goldfish. I suppose for the first year or so it probably wouldn't take many plants to keep up with, say a dozen goldfish? Not really sure on the qty I'll go with yet, I'll probably start off with a dozen in the indoor tank and move them outdoors slowly. In the end, I'll want to keep a few in the indoor tank, as I'm thinking its much easier on myself and the fish if I keep it 'live' rather than starting from scratch every fall

I was thinking maybe a 50gal tank inside. I suppose with a dozen full grown goldfish, and maybe a few other odds and ends, that's going to get crowded...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I kept some shubunkins in our 55 gallon tank for the winter, they were 2 inches or so in the fall 4 inches or so in the spring. Around 12 or so. Never did count them.
Long story short, one good filter, canister good for up to 100 gallon tank, added a 5 gallon lava rock filter, still had ammonia issues by spring. Constant water changes to keep the water decent.

so if you are going to keep them inside, I would go for as big a container as you can handle in your house. Maybe even a small stock tank.

Reaction score
Again, my location limits me greatly. I'm looking around, and its pretty hard to find even a 50gal tank!

My only other options are to ship one up from Alberta, a 1200km trip it likely wouldn't make, or drive down and pick one up. Even if I drove down to pick up a tank, I'm still limited to the size that I could fit in my truck (and still be able to pack it decently enough to survive the trip back, as our "highway" is a goat trail)

Reaction score
well, isnt that handy, largest one i can pick up locally is 20gal, good for 1 full grown fish LOL

i havent got their pricing yet, but of course they can special order in a big tank, which is probably so over priced its worth my time to make a trip to alberta to get one myself.

Biggest tank these guys can get is a 55gal, for a plain jane basic tank (which is about all i want). tough they can get a nice 46 or 77gal corner tank with an oak stand, which would be nice as the corner tank would give the fish tons of room. though im scared to even ask them what the price tag is on that... :faint:

I definitely dont want a tank thats borderline small, and hard to keep healty, as we have pretty long winters, and the fish will be in the tank as much, if not more than they are in the pond! (i expect them to be in the pond june-sept, the snow starts flying mid-late oct and the ice is usually off the ponds late april). of course, i may be able to get them into the pond a little faster, being failry shallow it may warm up fast depending on the weather we get.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hard to imagine a place you can't even get a tank, wow. Bet you have some neat places to see though.

Reaction score
LOL, yea, they call this place a city... ive lived in little towns in the middle of nowhere that had more than this place!

I dont mind the country, im an outdoors person, i'd live out in my cabin 24/7 if i could. but really, its not all that spectacular to see a bunch of rock and water, i would much rather be back in B.C if their was any work there!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
addy1 said:
my tomato plant sucked when grown in the bog. Might be because I did not have a lot of poop makers then.
Wife is big time into tomato's. Says they like well drained soil.

Further says there are 3 general catagories of plants

Well drained
Wet toes where some of the pot is under but some it out.
Standing in water

Wet toes may work in a bog. I have no idea if these are general classes or her own invention.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tomatoes grow best on a mound, watered at the bottom of the mound, i.e. well drained. Agree with your wife!

Ask a Question