some pics of my pond ,

Reaction score
Where are you in MI? I've lived in various states in the north, and if you go to where the glaciers melted, rocks are something that farmers have to "pick" every year or two. You see piles of rocks along fence rows, and you ask the farmer if he would like you to haul away some of those rocks for free. Be careful not to look too eager, or he might charge you $10 or so for a truckload.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
JustJack said:
Nice pond mogsie, and it will look wonderful when the plants come back to life! Addy1, I'm interested in that bog garden too. I have a small bog area right now that didn't have much in it when we got here and I'm looking to add to it. I want a few pitcher plants too, as they are actually native to this area.

I bought a few end of season red pitcher plants (99 cents each), stuck them in the bog. They were in solid ice for months. Never figured they would survive. The ice finally melted, and there are little baby pitchers around the base of them

I have some oil pan bogs in our sun room with baby pitchers, sun dews waiting for spring. The plants are all starting to grow. Once our weather stabilizes a little I will get the carnivorous plant bogs done and the sun room plants moved out of the house.

They are really neat! and pretty. We have acidic well water so they will do great here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hmmm red pitcher plants .I didn't think they would grow in so much water .Have to try them out .I use dollar store dish pans but looking at a pic of an oil pan it is wider so may be better .What other plants with flowers have you had luck with ,as I am just putting in a new filter and on the top I want to grow plants that are pretty not just plain .Last year I grew sweet potato vines but geeze they take over ,had to trim them every couple of days the pic is where I want to grow plants in the big plantainer at least thats what lowes calls it

Attachments

• fog and new waterfall 012.jpg
    fog and new waterfall 012.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 267

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pitcher plants are in the bog, not the pond. They don't really care for wet crowns. They might do ok in a floating planter. I have them in pea gravel above the water line by about 1 - 2 inches. They like being in peat moss. But no harm in trying. The bog gardens will be a mix of peat moss and sand.

They also like acidic water, which ours is. The bog gardens will be acidic. The pond won't once I get it balanced, I am going to leave those two pitcher plants in the pond bog to see how they do.

In the pond itself I just have iris, lilies, parrot feathers, so far. The bog has the majority of the plants, grasses, hosta, liropes, cardinal flowers etc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I put my plants in my old filter they where in pots with gravel and I have lots of liropes so will try them as did not know they where good either .When I go to springdale gardens in VA I will be picking some plants out there .I plan on getting parrot feathers too .I can't wait until the really nicer weather gets here to go there as there plants will all be ready when I am ready .I had purple fountain grass and zebra grass last year and I don't think the purple fountain grass survived the winter but the zebra grass did .The metal arch you see there was covered in sweet potato vines last year but got out of control.That plantainer is also my filter and I'm going to have something similar at the other end of the pond

Reaction score
here is a few more updated photos,

Attachments

• DSC03652.jpg
    DSC03652.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC03675.jpg
    DSC03675.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC03635.jpg
    DSC03635.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC03632.jpg
    DSC03632.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC03636.jpg
    DSC03636.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 248

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow fireplace and pond how much better can it get and a trellis to keep the sun off you .really really nice I, jealous I really like the way you did your water fall and the budda icing on the cake:bowdown::bowdown:

Reaction score
thanks sissy, yeah the fire keeps you warm whilst watching the fish, i also have a sunken budda on the bottom of the pond, tho he has now grown long green stringy hair and beard !! lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice mogsie! love the setting and how you did it.

Reaction score
BEAUTFUL.....wow what a cozy place to sit by the fire and see the pond...you have done a fabulous job.
We were lucky and all our rocks came from the property tree line, what we dug out, and my parents tree line.(old farm land) it has a virtual never ending stone pit..all the lannon/flagstone we used for the sitting areas around our pond came from there...yes FREE is so so nice

Ask a Question