Some Survivors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Found 3 of these little ones in the pond. Any idea how old they are and what their chances of continued survival are? Look down into the rocks.

Thanks

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 467

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its hard to tell , three weeks or so
They made it this far i would say chances are good they will make it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks Dr. Case. I was just out there and grabbed a couple more photos. Only worried about them being in a plant. The big guys always come and suck at the plants after feeding. Hope for the best. I'm going to try and take reg. photos. Last photo is hard to see. Middle to upper left in grass.
DrCase said:
Its hard to tell , three weeks or so
They made it this far i would say chances are good they will make it

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 411
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 458

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe even add some more plant matter there as EXTRA protection for them. Guess I'd be scooping them out and putting them in a "cage" or one of those netted-breeder things from the pet store -- keep them in the pond, but not letting the other fish get at them. I wonder if there are even more?

Keep us posted!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Tried Adding some more plants, but the big ones were more attracted to the area. So moved the plants over. I'm going to try putting some rocks in front of the plants were the little ones are. Make it harder for the big ones to access the plants. I took some more photos this morning. They seem very small to me still. Photo 11, look at the back wall along the rock line. Photo 17, in the flower pot with the frilly plant.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 340
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 395
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 341
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 327
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 379
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Just a couple updated photos from yesterday. Need better camera. lol

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 330
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 339

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Looks like the ones I had in my gin rin pond last month. Got a pic of them and haven't seen them since. I'm hoping they are hiding and didn't become a snack.

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 357
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Photo Updates.

I've managed to get a few photos this morning. Their still hanging on--coming out more until I go over to snap a shot. Fast little ones for sure. I haven't started to feed them anything yet, because the big guys will go over to that section and start sucking away. Wish they would grow faster so I could feel safe in feeding them. Any ideas how much longer? It's hard to get a good photo, they dart whenever I try to lean in to take a photo.

Attachments

• 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 387
  • 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 393
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 384
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 362
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 381
Reaction score
Congrats to those that have surviving baby koi. My koi laid hundreds of eggs but don't see any babies. One small rock was covered with eggs and I put the rock in a plant basket so the fish would not eat them but it does not look like any survived. It's been 3 weeks or so since the koi spawned. I will keep checking every few days to see if any babies might be hiding in the rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thank You! Don't give up hope. I spotted one this April that was about 3", it kept us eluded for over a year. This is the first time I've ever spotted the young ones so small. You may be surprised next year when you see new little ones.
Nova said:
Congrats to those that have surviving baby koi. My koi laid hundreds of eggs but don't see any babies. One small rock was covered with eggs and I put the rock in a plant basket so the fish would not eat them but it does not look like any survived. It's been 3 weeks or so since the koi spawned. I will keep checking every few days to see if any babies might be hiding in the rocks.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The only way they will grow is to feed them
they will get out of the way if the big fish come around

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I noticed yesterday while feeding my fish that I may have had a surviving koi baby from last year. I have a comet that is about 3-4 years old now but is still mostly black with some dark around around his underside. Because of the dark color, I don't see him very often. Lately I've been feeling like every other time I do see him, something is different. Well yesterday I was feeding everyon early before heading over to my parent's house, so the sun was still up high, and I got a clear look at this guy... Definitely a lot of black and dark orange, but this one has more of a mottled look like shubunkins. However what really stood out was half a dozen highly reflective scales across his backside. Now I have seen this is many koi, but I have never seen it in my comets... So it made me start thinking that there are probably TWO black and orange fish in the pond.

Time will tell... I'll keep an eye out to see how big this one gets, and if I ever seen any whiskers. It would be exciting to find out that at least one baby koi has survived in my pond in the last 2 years.

On another note, PetSmart had some black koi for sale tonight (and at 2-for-1!). Many of them had a silverish look to their undersides, so I don't know if this means they will get lighter or change colors in time? I picked out the two darkest ones and thought I'd give them a try. I know comets almost always change from black to orange, but I've bought plenty of koi even smaller than these and they have never done anything but gotten darker once they were put in the pond.

Reaction score
I think the skimmer has a LOT to do with it. The first year we built the pond it did not have a skimmer and we had 12 babies survive. Last year we re-built the pond, adding a waterfall and skimmer and had one baby survive. Of course we do need to reduce our fish population before we get more fish. We bought two butterfly koi early last spring and they immedately disappeared. We thought they died but a year later they re-appeared twice as big and have now joined the group.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Isn't it funny how they do that? I still can't figure out if this black&orange fish is one that I bought and forgot about, or was hatched in the pond. And with those colors, its very hard to see even when I'm looking for it.

Ask a Question