Something ate my Lilies?

Reaction score
I had some lilies in a baby pool along with water hyacinths and now I am missing 10 plants or more roots and all. Some hyacinths had missing leaves but the lilies were just gone?? Deer? Addy shared these with me and now they are gone :( Had them planted in oil pans with kitty litter so easy to pull out. Any ideas?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ground hog that has been hanging around here, ate one of mine, left a few roots ow gone, this was one that was in the deck pond. Could be deer they love to nibble.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ground hog ate my lily (have it on tape) in maybe 10 minutes, just munched away. left me a few roots to enjoy looking at.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Any chance you have a snapping turtle in there? they will eat them, that's the first thing that came to mind but being in a baby pool I doubt it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi Amber and sorry about your plants. Guess you'll have to put screen over them next time.

Reaction score
No turtles just 3 goldfish,frogs and a few tadpoles. I had it set up so my kids could watch the tadpoles transform. They have been in there for months untouched and then one day I went out and they were gone. I had a net on it in the beginning but frogs where getting stuck so I took it off. I'm thinking deer.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe when you are away or not near the pond you can have some kind of screen door material over it. Frogs can get stuck in that and deer can get through it. Maybe just cover the area where the plants are that the deer like...............I think raccoons like them also.

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Any chance you have a snapping turtle in there? they will eat them, that's the first thing that came to mind but being in a baby pool I doubt it.
Hello, my lilies also seem to be chewed up, and we did see a snapping turtle in the pond before- don’t know if there are more. But my lilies were blooming nicely for 3 years, why would they only start eating them now? And how can I remove turtles I don’t see from a pond?

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
same with painted turtles ( or as we call them around here "stink pots" ) I had one in my pond and it kept eating the lily stems till I removed him
Hello, what do ‘painted turtles’ look like? We had a beautiful large yellow colored turtle in our pond- though haven’t spotted him for a year already, but now all of a sudden something has eaten all my lilies.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello @Bangkok Pond. You are responding to a 6 year old thread. I doubt that you will get a reply here, but we have a topic specifically for aquatic plant issues. Maybe you would get a response if you posted a new thread under that topic.

I don’t know where you are located, but “painted turtles” are native to North America. You might want to do a Google search for native turtles in your area.

Why not go over to our “introductions” topic and tell us a little about yourself and about your pond.

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Hello @Bangkok Pond. You are responding to a 6 year old thread. I doubt that you will get a reply here, but we have a topic specifically for aquatic plant issues. Maybe you would get a response if you posted a new thread under that topic.

I don’t know where you are located, but “painted turtles” are native to North America. You might want to do a Google search for native turtles in your area.

Why not go over to our “introductions” topic and tell us a little about yourself and about your pond.
Thanks, I did actually post a new thread and explained my problem there.

Ask a Question