Something has been biting my fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Time to get a trailcam, Mike!
It's looking that way, Mitch. The worst part is, I think I had this trapped the first time. I had the locking mechanism set wrong. So, when the trap closed, the animal could easily push his way out either side. No wonder I've never caught anything with that sucker.
icon_facepalm2.gif

Anyhow, he's been back, and I found a track. It's about 2 1/2 inches across. I'm pretty sure it's not a mink with a track that size. It must be an otter.

DSCF8693.jpg

DSCF8692.jpg

DSCF8691.jpg

My trap was 36 inches. I bought a larger 42 inch trap. That one came in a box with instructions. lol I'm using Addy's suggestion of camo with ferns, and a trail of sardines, leading to the trap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I took a walk around the pond yesterday. It made me sick to see large numbers of fish swimming around with terminal wounds. It's only a matter of time before he jumps in my upper pond. I am going to set up the original trap today. The new one looks just like the old one, except it's a hair taller and 6 inches longer. Maybe i'll use a can of tuna in one, and sardines in the other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, there was a critter in the trap this morning. Wasn't exactly what I was expecting but, makes sense. As I stated above, a mink or otter usually bother in early spring or late fall. Also, I see then during the daylight. They don't injure that many, if any of the other fish. This guy is larger than he looks, scrunched up in the corner. He did some serious hissing and snarling, lugging him up from the pond. I had to rest 3 times. I've taken thousands of digital pics. Why are these in black and white?
DSCF8698.jpg

DSCF8699.jpg

DSCF8700.jpg

I took him about 10 miles from my house, to Lake Carmi. I let him go on the north end, across the road from the lake. There's a brook and pool of water with wetlands and a ton of woods. There's also a large culvert to give him safe access to the lake. You can't see the book but, it's there. He took off like a race horse, when I opened the trap.
DSCF8706.jpg

DSCF8705.jpg

DSCF8703.jpg

DSCF8702.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I don't. The live trap is set. Any suggestions on bait, other than canned sardines?
Racoons will go insane for chocolate or cocoa. They would tear our MREs apart and leave everything except the cocoa, they'd smell it through two layers of hermetically sealed aluminized mylar and a millimeter of polyethylene!

Ask a Question