spawning

Reaction score
shakaho said:
The usual reason scales turn black is ammonia burns. Have you checked your ammonia level?

no i havent :lol: the only test i havent got is ammonia one but out of 6 goldies its only happening to two and all other tests are near perfect. i have got pics but cant put up untill i get my own laptop back as is out for repair but will do so as soon as i can (maybe monday). i.ve woken this morn to find the foating plants all over the pond which i try and succeed in keeping to one side and the fish are going crazy chasing what seems to be one at the moment, they have never been this active and i presume its spawn time.
i have dropped in the mop now as i have no idea of time spans for the various degrees of the spawning process.

i will try to get ammonia testing kit but times are hard for me at the moment so can you tell me what can lower the ammonia wthout harming other levels in the pond or the fish.

also can anyone help with the spawning?

thank you very much

daz

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
water changes will help lower ammonia try changing 10% for a few days and cut down on the amount you are feeding the fish untill it settles down, spawning just let it happen ..make sure your mop is near the top of the pond ... the change in weather may have bought on an early spawn its warmed up a bit here but my pond is still only just above 50 Celsius 10 Fahrenheit how warm is your pond ?
dont forget to add decoler when adding new water
if the fish are spawning they wont be that bothered about food anyway ...also if you dont feed they will eat more of the eggs :0)

Reaction score
stroppy said:
water changes will help lower ammonia try changing 10% for a few days and cut down on the amount you are feeding the fish untill it settles down, spawning just let it happen ..make sure your mop is near the top of the pond ... the change in weather may have bought on an early spawn its warmed up a bit here but my pond is still only just above 50 Celsius 10 Fahrenheit how warm is your pond ?
dont forget to add decoler when adding new water
if the fish are spawning they wont be that bothered about food anyway ...also if you dont feed they will eat more of the eggs :0)

water temp is 57 atm, and only feeding the fish 1nce a day and not that much when i do. the mop is floating/partially sunk about 2 inches but will sink totally by tomorrow, and your right of course, the little food they did have this morn hasnt been touched so i,ve just removed it.
in the case of the ammonia i did a 50 percent water change for the first time 2 weeks ago after the winter and 20 last weekend, will do another 20 tomorrow. maybe i left it too late to do a water change after the winter months (i am still learning). if this is the case it will not happen again.

as you well know the weather this week has been exceptionaly warm and my pond being only a foot deep and getting quite a bit of the sun on it, it may have moved things along as you stated.

thanks very much and i will keep you posted on how things go

Reaction score
further to my previous post hear are some pics to take a look at to see if anyone can help me with the black on the fish and a quick pic of my pond (training pond)

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 281
Reaction score
Interesting. It definitely does not look like any growth or infection. It really does look like some kind of "burn". Just a guess since I have never had this. But the scattered pattern leads me down the path that the orange scale coloring was altered by coming in to contact with too much ammonia or some other chemical.
Hopefully someone else will come along with a definitive answer.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you would think a chemical burn would more than likely effect most or all fish since theyre all exposed.but then, i havent encountered this either.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm intrested in hearing what others say on this, That really to me just looks like color pattern that is appearing to display stronger, I don't see any tell tell signs on the fins of ammonia, the water changes will for sure only help the pond so no harm there at all, To me the fish looks very healthy and in good shape.

Reaction score
I just keep thinking I have seen a similar picture somewhere else. I am trying to find the link or posting. I will keep looking. Still hoping someone else comes along with the right answer.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
I'm intrested in hearing what others say on this, That really to me just looks like color pattern that is appearing to display stronger, I don't see any tell tell signs on the fins of ammonia, the water changes will for sure only help the pond so no harm there at all, To me the fish looks very healthy and in good shape.
my thoughts exactly.....i have a koi thats black speckled spot numbers have increased over the last couple years. but shes always had a huge number of them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
how about alittle more info on the parasite in that posting..it causes black spots and is only in ponds transfered by host birds. might be worthy of posting in illness / disease forum....the whole article that is.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
RSFish1 said:
Still looking. But here is an example of something I had read.

look at that pic and at the fins of the fish, That fish has had some kind of serious reaction, the pic of your fish the fins are clean and fully intact with no frays tears or red streaks.

I know Koi will change and can add black over time on some color variations, Comets normally don't add black they usually lose if if anything which is what makes this more intresting.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
look at that pic and at the fins of the fish, That fish has had some kind of serious reaction, the pic of your fish the fins are clean and fully intact with no frays tears or red streaks.

I know Koi will change and can add black over time on some color variations, Comets normally don't add black they usually lose if if anything which is what makes this more intresting.

Yeah the fish in that picture has some serious burns. But do a search for "Black spot" siease goldfish and there are some less burnt fish that resemble the pics here.

Trust me. I have no clue if I am right or not. Just offering up a suggestion for waht I had read before.

Ask a Question