spawning

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
RSFish1 said:
Yeah the fish in that picture has some serious burns. But do a search for "Black spot" siease goldfish and there are some less burnt fish that resemble the pics here.

Trust me. I have no clue if I am right or not. Just offering up a suggestion for waht I had read before.

I can say that if it is either it is chemical reaction on yours not Parasite. I've seen the parasite cysts on fish before, It looks more round and not on the scales but actually under them and do not form any type of pattern as your fish does.

Reaction score
thank you all for your replies.

i have had and dealt with blackspotspot before and my golden tench still bears the marks. they are as stated very round like perfect spots of varying sizes, they may never go. i attracted this (blackspot) through having snails in my outdoor pond (add birds and expect the parasite) the apple snails were soon removed and the fish treated and all is well, this was last year, i think i can rule out blackspot, if they are ammonia burns then will they rectify themselves over a little time? would love to know whats happening.

thanks again everyone

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
looking at your photos i think ammonia burns ...i might be wrong but cant the same thing happen if you have a nitrite reading too ...i would keep doing small water changes for now what type of filter do you have ?

Reaction score
nitrates/ites are normal and as for my filter i went way way overboard with the litre/gallon per hour just incase i wanted to go bigger (wont need to buy bigger filter system) it handles at the very least 4 times the water filtration needed for a pond this size, i think its around 4000 litre from what i can remember. i have been checking afor mentioned levels and they have been fine all through the winter and up to the present. all i can do is keep an eye on it and will post of any changes, for better :) or worse :(

p.s. theres pics of my fish with blackspot in illnesses and diseases, scabs/abrassions, or type my name in search box at top of page and scroll down 3 or 4, its quicker

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
well if it is ammonia burns ...it should now improve the fish does look ok apart from his burns his top fin is up, not clamped down like they are if its unwell so hopefully it should improve :0)

Reaction score
I had a little comet I picked out of the $.13 tank at Petsmart develop black spots a few days after I got him. He was very active and healthy looking, but some of the other fish in the tank were showing stress, so it's likely the ammonia was high. The spots went away after a few days, and he never showed any sign of distress.

Reaction score
hi again all, just an update to say the fish are now back to normal and looking as happy as they ever were.

although,, im feeling rather sorry for the white (now i definatly know) female as she is now taking quite a battering by the others and loosing a few scales off her side, i have a short video of the battering she is getting but im not sure if videos can be hosted or how to do it.

ive just tried the video and it wont upload but its quite brutal and i dont know whether to seperate her or let them get on with it as its nature.

1st time ive ever seen it happening so im unsure.
thoughts?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some pull out the female to help them. Some ride it out. Guess it is your call. The drive to have babies is hitting the fish.

Reaction score
I have had ammonia burns on fish many times when I did cleanouts years ago....it can happen quickly and even if the ammonia is quickly back to normal. Shows up and dissapears yep in a week or two, have never had an issue that it affects the fish poorly.
As for telling sex of goldfish, not so hard. Breeding males get small white tubracles on their gill plates and along the ridge of the pecteral and dorsal fins, it can look lik ich but is only on those areas. Easiest to see them on the orange males, but even shubunkins have them. This is how I separated my large ones, so now I only have large males in the koi pond

Reaction score
I know im dragging this up a month later but refers to same post.

Same all white goldfish still going through hell after four weeks. Have anyones goldfish spawned yet in the uk? She sits on her side most of the time in about 2.5 centimeters of vwater cos its the only place she can get rest.

Also turning pink around the midbelly (zbruising or sores maybe)?

Removed her from the pond for 3 days but she seemed very down and hardly moved.

Is there va cheap seperation method without removing from pond? Maybe mesh or netting of some sort and ihow would i fix it? I have sunken pondlinered pond

All ideas and info welcomed

Tthnx
daz

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pvc frame with some screen door netting over it? between her and the others.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
mine have spawned twice so far ... i think maybe she is egg bound does she still look fat ?... im sorry that might not be much help is there anyway you can take her out and put her with a fish that doesnt chase her ..or try addys idea, any chance you could contact your local vets they normally have a fish expert in the practice they might be able to advice you

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have one that has been fat with what looks like eggs for 9 months. She doesn't seem to be in any stress. I wonder if she is just fat...

Ask a Question