Spooked fish

Reaction score
I created a topic about 4 or 5 days ago "I hate Herons". I havent seen them in several days, but my fish are still spooked. I know that at least some of them are still there. I will on occasion see a head poking through the grass on the side of the pond. I just cant get and to come out and say Hi. They have not eaten any pellets for a week. I have checked the water.

Temp 64
Ammonia 0
PH 7.5-8.0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0
KH 125 ppm
GH 0 ppm

How long will a predator attack freak my fish out? Minutes, days, weeks? Am I just not seeing the bird and its visiting more often than I think?

Do I have a classic case of acquatic PTSD? Do they need a little talk therapy?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
They can stay spooked for quite some time. if it is still coming they will not continue coming out and will hide all day for weeks on in. Once a heron has found a place for easy meal it will continue coming and it will change times of the day when it comes, it can be anything from a hour before day break, to about a half hour before dark. the herons don't hunt at night, they roost during darkness to protect them from predators themselves, Now If there is a owl in the neighbor hood he's more effective at night than a heron is during the day if they are coming to the surface. I recommend some type of netting or cover. until you run it off for good they will contiue coming until there are almost no fish left.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are sneaky birds, unless you spot them flying in it is almost impossible to see them, they move so slow. The green heron that is visiting us is very hard to see, small, moves slow, sneaky little sucker. You may still be getting visits

Reaction score
I guess some good news to report. I have not seen a fish in the daylight in over a week. It appears that my fish, however many are left have become nocturnal. If I sneek up on the pond at night and shine a spotlight in the area next to where I know they are hiding I see fish swim through the light...and then they're gone...but at least they are still there. Tonight I went up to the pond just before it became totally dark out and I could see several fish cruising around. I threw in some pellets and although I could not really make them out I could see some turbulence at the top of the water. I sure wish I knew if there was anything I could do to help them. I also wish I knew if the dreaded Herons have been back or are they still spooked from a few weeks ago.

Reaction score
I enjoy watching my fish at night with a flashlight better than during the day anyway. They seem to be afraid of my silohuette during the day, but at night they don't see it and the beam of my flashlight doesn't seem scary to them.

As far s your heron problem goes, I have a backup plan for my pond that I hope I never have to use. The motion detector water sprayer. I think they're like $50, once I get my fish into my pond I'm going to get one on order just so I have it ready for the day I need it. If that doesn't work for you, buy a cheap digital camera that has time delay and just have it take shots every minute, or if you can get a webcam and just let it record to your computer all day.

Reaction score
If that doesn't work for you, buy a cheap digital camera that has time delay and just have it take shots every minute, or if you can get a webcam and just let it record to your computer all day.
No offence Buckry, but how will taking pictures of the Heron help? lol

The Scarecrow water sprayer is a good start, fishing line, then netting if you have to, although I have never liked the look of netting stretched out over a pond, I find it detracts from the look, but that's just me. I'd sooner get a guard dog and train him to chase the herons away.

Reaction score
No offence Buckry, but how will taking pictures of the Heron help? lol

The Scarecrow water sprayer is a good start, fishing line, then netting if you have to, although I have never liked the look of netting stretched out over a pond, I find it detracts from the look, but that's just me. I'd sooner get a guard dog and train him to chase the herons away.

I would assume Buckry was not suggesting that the cameras would scare them off...just answer the question if they are still visiting my pond.

Or maybe Herons are camera shy :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would assume Buckry was not suggesting that the cameras would scare them off...just answer the question if they are still visiting my pond.

Or maybe Herons are camera shy :razz:

nah, mine posed for the cameras for hours at a time

Ask a Question