Spring feed waterfall and brook

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Exactly what I'm struggling with. Assuming I can tear the waterfall down to the existing block wall behind it, what will the best method to attach the liner. And after that hurdle is jumped how to rebuild the water fall against the liner. The waterfall being spring fed runs year round, but during the freezing parts of winter a thick ice coat covers the outside of the waterfall, so that poses some challenged in rebuilding.

The liner can easily be attached to the block wall, BUT unless the spring water is coming through an opening in the block wall this will not work for it would block the water flow and cause more problems. If the springhead is in front of the wall then there is no possible way to utilize liner with any real success unless, by chance, you were dealing with ledger rock. I believe, however, that you are in the wrong area of the country for that type of geology.
Over time, natural springs can change their flow pattern. I believe that is what has happened in your case. You stated that this was there when you bought the house 20 years ago. Twenty years is less than a blink-of-an-eye in geologic time. Nothing is permanent in Nature. You may have a natural occurrence that will just have to be adjust to. Sometimes the facts aren't always rosy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
The liner can easily be attached to the block wall, BUT unless the spring water is coming through an opening in the block wall this will not work for it would block the water flow and cause more problems. If the springhead is in front of the wall then there is no possible way to utilize liner with any real success unless, by chance, you were dealing with ledger rock. I believe, however, that you are in the wrong area of the country for that type of geology.
Over time, natural springs can change their flow pattern. I believe that is what has happened in your case. You stated that this was there when you bought the house 20 years ago. Twenty years is less than a blink-of-an-eye in geologic time. Nothing is permanent in Nature. You may have a natural occurrence that will just have to be adjust to. Sometimes the facts aren't always rosy.

How is the liner attached to a vertical block wall? What would be the best underlayment to use? If I lay stone in concrete against the liner to form a new waterfall I'll have to anchor the new masonry structure to the existing wall with wall ties. How is penetrating the liner for wall ties accomplished keeping it watertight?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
And a lot of work and time .I don't want to be you .Sorry but I have to tell it like it is .;)

Agreed, being in my mid-sixties I'll take my time and I have a Bobcat with a backhoe attachment and a gator with a dump bed to help, along with a wife that will help where she can.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Does the water come from what looks like a pipe from under the deck and then run down the rocks? Is there any way you can extend the pipe out a bit, run some liner over the existing rock wall and rock over it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How is the liner attached to a vertical block wall? What would be the best underlayment to use? If I lay stone in concrete against the liner to form a new waterfall I'll have to anchor the new masonry structure to the existing wall with wall ties. How is penetrating the liner for wall ties accomplished keeping it watertight?

Liner can be attached to any impermeable surface such as concrete, concrete block, wood, natural stone, etc. through the use of 'terminal bars'.
'.
FirestoneTerminationBar-FTB.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How is penetrating the liner for wall ties accomplished keeping it watertight?
You can't use wall ties with the liner. You will have to build the masonry thick enough to be self supporting. The bar Meyer mentioned will work the best with masonry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Does the water come from what looks like a pipe from under the deck and then run down the rocks? Is there any way you can extend the pipe out a bit, run some liner over the existing rock wall and rock over it?

Yes, it's a 1.5" plastic pipe that feeds the waterfall. I don't see the existing waterfall surface as suitable for a liner. Check out the pics in my previous posts and you see what I'm talking about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
You can't use wall ties with the liner. You will have to build the masonry thick enough to be self supporting. The bar Meyer mentioned will work the best with masonry.

I like the design on the bars with the edges bent to avoid liner damage and the wall ties could be fastened to the same masonry anchors that the attach the bars. I can use a bottom drain type of flange/boot where the 1.5' pipe feeds the waterfall to keep that connection watertight and extend the liner above the inlet pipe and just below the faux stone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Liner can be attached to any impermeable surface such as concrete, concrete block, wood, natural stone, etc. through the use of 'terminal bars'.

No success Googling "Pond Liner Terminal Bars" I'm assuming they would be stainless steel, do you have a link or source to purchase?
'.
FirestoneTerminationBar-FTB.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
do you have access to the pipe on the other side of the wall ?
or could you see the top end of the pipe to put a valve on it, or just a cap to stop the flow ?
what color is the plastic pipe ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
do you have access to the pipe on the other side of the wall ?
or could you see the top end of the pipe to put a valve on it, or just a cap to stop the flow ?
what color is the plastic pipe ?

It's black plastic pipe inside the well house which is on the back side of the waterfall. In the well house the 1.5" black plastic "T"s one branch to the waterfall, the other to a 50 gallon gravity tank with a shallow well pump I use for outside water. I added a valve to both ends of "T" several years ago. When the weather breaks I'll stop the spring flow, pump out the water and start knocking the calcified growth off the water fall. Once I find out what's behind all the overgrowth I can make more of plan to deal with the leaks. At that point I'll post some more pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States

Ask a Question