spring start up problems—help needed

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Generally speaking, this is a good article, but the author does make some questionable statements. One or two seem to contradict reality. The main point is that flashing can be, but is not always, a sign to call Koi 911.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Generally speaking, this is a good article, but the author does make some questionable statements. One or two seem to contradict reality. The main point is that flashing can be, but is not always, a sign to call Koi 911.

I googled " koi Flashing " and found that almost anything can cause flashing. Not a cause for alarm but something to watch.
This article I thought would give her some insight if she's still with us. There were a few contradictions that I also saw, but overall, knowledgable for someone looking for answers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@SmaugMaybe they're not flashing, maybe they're starving ... lol ... My fish jump out of the water once the food hits.
It's clearly a flashing motion. But do you think hunger could be an actual cause?I was feeding a lot prior to the flashing, but have backed off of it because I thought it was an ammonia spike.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water changes can induce short term flashing. Flashing often occurs just prior to spawning. It is not always a response to parasites.
How prior is just prior? A couple of weeks? I'm expecting her to spawn soon, but I didn't think it would be soon as in April.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nothing is ever "always" meyer. I've never seen flashing from any of my numerous water changes per year .
It's before the water changes that I've observed flashing. Afterward, they calm down. The flashing has lessened even more though. And I've backed off of water changes.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yup,water changes are usually a good thing as long as incoming water is good and close to same parameters. I've never understood this particular forums general bad opinion of water changes . Well anyway,it's good your problem is diminishing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
general bad opinion of water changes

I don't find a "bad opinion" about water changes on this forum. I find ponders who are willing to accept that there are A. different types of ponds and B. different ways to manage ponds. As the saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat" and people here are curious and accepting. On other forums I've been told that my method of pond management DOES NOT WORK - in spite of the evidence otherwise. They will say "wait two years" and I say "but it's been 5 years". "Then wait 10, or 20 or 30..." Oooooookay. I'll wait.

What I do find on this forum is an openness to the idea that water changes (or bead filters or bottom drains or... name your favorite) are NOT the be-all and end-all of pond management. Other forums that I've browsed will drum you off if you even dare to suggest deviating from the old methods. Rocks in your pond? You're out!

We would have abandoned any plans to build a pond if we had read that we needed to change 20 (or 30 or 50)% of our water weekly (or daily or monthly) to successfully keep a pond healthy - that would amount to thousands of gallons of water usage a month which would be cost prohibitive in our home budget. Knowing that we could build a system where we could actually STORE water is what convinced us to build our pond. Sometimes I drop a pump in the pond and use the pond water to water the gardens - but that's to benefit my plants, not my pond.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's clearly a flashing motion. But do you think hunger could be an actual cause?I was feeding a lot prior to the flashing, but have backed off of it because I thought it was an ammonia spike.
I watch my fish alot. As in I set at my pond for 2 to 3 hrs every night after work that I can. I have never seen any of my fish flash more then once in those times. In the past when I have seen them flashing it was always,,,,yes always a parasite or some other true problem. Another thing I've done in the past was be a bow fisher, in the pursuit of that I was always in watch position and observed hours of fish behaviour every session of ehich there were 100s of sessions with most of it being carp. I have never seen any carp flash other then the times my arrow zinged through them .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay guys it's getting bad. I finally fed them again today because everything's been normal for the past couple of days. They were hungry and happy, but then they just started flashing really badly. Especially my biggest fish, who I really can't afford to lose. She keeps swimming under the water flow and flashing. Another is following her lead. It's far more repetitive than it's been. Why is it starting up again? The flashing points to parasites, but the timing is weird...only at night, more violent after feeding?

Currently doing a water change, despite some differing opinions, because I honestly don't know what else to do and it's helped in the past. As soon as I turned the pumps to spill water outside the pond, all the fish calmed down and stopped flashing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Additional information: the food is not a sinking pellet but they've been sucking stuff up off the bottom. Maybe they're stirring up muck and it's irritating them? It's highly doubtful in my opinion. I dont know...I'm really stuck.

I can move them into a 5000 gallon tub tomorrow, but I don't think it will help much.

I also have a fluke treatment I could use, if you guys think I should.

Last edited:

Ask a Question