spring start up problems—help needed

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Getting curious myself to see the med and ammonia level. Also think a binder would be better than a huge 50% water change again. Too many water changes! Hook worm? Must mean anchor worm but they would be obvious by eye! Lice? Another guess! What ya thinkin ? @Meyer Jordan ...

What I am thinking is that this thread, like so many others posted on this forum and countless other social media, does not and cannot contain all of the pertinent information required for making an educated opinion. A vet would never diagnose an ailment other than hands-on. Neither would your family physician.
Although I did originally lean towards Ammonia poisoning, once the fact was mentioned that the fish had red streaks I knew that, whether primary or secondary, the problem was now bacterial and usually bacterial infections are preceded by either parasites or some form of physical damage. What really needs to be investigated thoroughly is what caused the fish to be in the weakened state that left them prone to parasite attack. Ammonia could have been the cause of that or some other singular or multiple water quality issues. This should be identified and corrected or future outbreaks of health issues with these fish are surely to follow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ammonia? Overcrowding? Parasites could've existed before winter, but with everything starting up again, the fish were weak enough for parasites to take advantage?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ammonia? Overcrowding? Parasites could've existed before winter, but with everything starting up again, the fish were weak enough for parasites to take advantage?

Parasites are ubiquitous to most aquatic environments as long as host specie are present. They have been in your pond since its construction. They do not cause a problem in healthy fish. Healthy fish are weakened by water quality issues.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
That low ammo reading isn't causing the problem. I've seen number 4 times higher then that with no reaction.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with you both. I never heard of Cypropro. Looked it up. The only problem I have is Jenny hasn't mentioned she sees anchor worm which I'd use Dimilin 25 for. I had to use it once years back and it was a great fix though there was no infestation, just pulled out one worm, yet treated the pond.

So without seeing anchor worms, why are you treating for them. As I said, they're hard to miss with the naked eye. Ammonia is low at .25 ... How long is pond cycling now? I think what meyer said makes perfect sense and if I were treating part blindly ( no scope ) ... I'd probably go with something for Costia or stay low key and salt the pond to see what happens, the least of the evils. Tough communications!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Praziquantel is probably the best wide spectrum treatment for parasites on the market today. Has virtually no side effects.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've always trusted the pond shop owner in the past, and I would have no fish left alive if it weren't for him. He looked at pictures of the fish and listened to my description of the symptoms. The medication says it's very low key and safe, and won't affect bio filtration. Pond has been cycling for 3-ish weeks now, so still very new. The medication also treats fish lice. As for costia, they definitely have some symptoms, but are not lethargic or respiring heavily.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Praziquantel is probably the best wide spectrum treatment for parasites on the market today. Has virtually no side effects.

@Meyer Jordan , I use Prazi each season as a preventative. It is mainly for flukes but never heard of it used as a broad spectrum for anything else. Are you sure about that? It is quite benign and can be used in combination with other meds need be it, but as a stand alone, I believe it's mainly for flukes and internal worms. They used it on dogs to deworm but not sure they do anymore. It actually dissolves quite well in Proform c ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Shoot....I treated the water last night, but an animal must've knocked the pump out of place during the night. A lot of their water leaked out, so that means a) another water change and b) I don't know how much medication is left in their water. It wouldn't be safe to just put a complete second dose in...now what.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Shoot....I treated the water last night, but an animal must've knocked the pump out of place during the night. A lot of their water leaked out, so that means a) another water change and b) I don't know how much medication is left in their water. It wouldn't be safe to just put a complete second dose in...now what.

I'm totally unfamiliar with the product so don't know what to say. The Cyropro is for anchor worm but you never said you saw any anchor worms. Not sure why he have you that! Do you have anchor worms that you see likes threads coming out of your koi? As far as re-dosing, are you suppose to re-dose the next day according to directions?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan , I use Prazi each season as a preventative. It is mainly for flukes but never heard of it used as a broad spectrum for anything else. Are you sure about that? It is quite benign and can be used in combination with other meds need be it, but as a stand alone, I believe it's mainly for flukes and internal worms. They used it on dogs to deworm but not sure they do anymore. It actually dissolves quite well in Proform c ...

You are absolutely correct. I have seen it referred to as a broad spectrum parasite treatment, but further reading has shown otherwise.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
been using this for years get it off webbs online

Attachments

• pond stuff 069.JPG
    pond stuff 069.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 216
  • pond stuff 068.JPG
    pond stuff 068.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 135
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
been using this for years get it off webbs online

Very similar to ProForm C if not the same. Not to be used with salt! BSDT !!! ProForm C isn't to be used with salt and best not to use BSDT with salt either. Actually best if we don't use them at all ...Lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use it on sick fish people bring me after there ponds fail .I help them get there ponds working right and after i get there fish healthy and returned to there pond safe and healthy .So far in 4 years with this stuff i have not lost any peoples fish yet and some come to me pretty sick .

Ask a Question