Start up questions performed pond

Reaction score
Hello. Just got a used preformed pond off craigslist planning on using to over winter some fish. Believe it is around 200 gal (7X5, misc depth max 18",has perfromed shelf). It came with two small filter/pump units made by Tetra (not sure on gph, farly small units about 12"x5"x6" deep). Basement temperatures in mid 50's.

Currently have water in pond (basement, very understanding wife) and cleaned up filters. I put 2 cups of an established aquariums gravel in each filter to help start bactera growth.

I would like to overwinter eight 3" koi. Dont really have any other options for winter home for fish. Have a few questions, would appreachate some help.

1) how much do these Tetra filters really help for pond water control. Thinking of making pond a goldfish pond (outdoor) in spring. Is there a formula for determaining filter size to water control (maintaining water at acceptable levels for happy fish)?

2) Going to have two 3" fish in pond for first 6 weeks to cycle. Planning 10% water change first week, two 30% water changes weekly remaining weeks. Is this enough to protect my fish. Filters will be running to get bactera growing on sponge filters of Tetra units.

3) At 55 deg, should I feed my Koi over winter in small pond? Coldest ever kept koi is 60 deg, they were still very active and hungry.

4) know very little about goldfish. How big do they need to be some not as tempting to birds/racoons. Will have some sorta net over pond when outdoors. Would six 6" goldfish be reasonable for pond?

Any help would be greatly appreachated.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
welcome aboard!
1st off those box type filters aren't very good, use the sponge but i like using bioball below them if you must use them. be sure and flush reularly, they can easily go anarobic and smell horrible if there isn't good oxygenated water flowing through them.
2nd- happy level for fish is determined by testing the water, I've never seen a true formula for amount of filter media for inch or per fish. What you need to put into place is a large enough filter to keep the pond balanced once cycled.
3rd-at 55 degrees you could feed your fish but keep in mind, there metabolism has slowed down so don't feed as much as you would when the water is 60 or higher. Wheat germ would be the best food to be feeding at that temp. BTW.
4th size of fish that is safe from predators, well i will say this, if you happen to get a heron visit they can, and I have witnessed first hand that even 18"-20" koi aren't safe, actually sometimes the smaller the fish the less chance they will get eaten as they have far more places to hide and are smaller targets.
Many things can help with predator control but the best thing is to use some kind of netting or fishing line that birds and animals can't just fly in or walk through. i actually had to install chicken wire on PVC pipe frames to cover my pond, it's ugly but i havn't lost any fish since i built them to predators.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fought a heron for a few months this summer, the main thing that helped my goldfish and shubunkins is the depth of the pond, no shelves. The floating alligator head seemed to be the best deterrent. I did hang a loose piece of deer fencing over the pond since it was big enough for the bird to fly in and land.

I did put chicken wire around the pond, it flew over it, fishing line over, it landed in the pond and tangled its feet. After I put the alligator heads in (one each end of the pond) the bird did not try to get into the pond at all, or even near the edge. It would stand and stare at the heads for quite a bit of time.

Next year will tell the tale as to how well things work when the sucker comes back lol.

Reaction score
If by "water control" you mean removing ammonia...as was already said, testing is the only way to know. There are some ballpark methods which relate to pounds of fish and pounds of food fed per day. Of course 95% of what you hear will be a pond size to filter ratio, but that's just for selling stuff. Most people prefer simple even if nonsense.

I don't know anything about the Tetra you have, but I'm guessing some kind of foam combo deal? These can require frequent cleaning. Bacteria die when covered with silt, or won't attach on silt. But cleaning detach a lot of biofilm. So it's a pretty tricky dance imo. But luckily most people don't actually need a biofilter so no harm either way. Eight 3" Koi in 200 gal probably does require a biofilter, depends on feeding which they won't need and water changes.

You can make your life a lot simpler by cycling the biofilter using ammonia from the drug store. Completes the process in 1 to 2 weeks if you keep optimum range 7-9 pH, 30-35C (86-95F)(Henze 1995) and 200+ppm KH. This process also spares the lives of the goldfish if their only use is to produce ammonia. Of course as temp drops so does the ammonia conversion rates and stops at 39F. In the 50F range you might have trouble getting any colonies started.

When goldfish get over 375 lbs birds and racoons are still tempted, but just stare trying to work up the nerve. ;)

I'm curious, can preforms be used standalone? I always assumed they had to be in the ground to stop from splitting.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Stand-alone preforms are available, usually in the shape of a large round tub or a rectangle. Other than that,Fiberglass ponds can be made strong enough to hold water without external support, but the cost is generally prohibitive, And by the way, that 375 pound goldfish is going to cost a small fortune to feed! :cheerful: John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have one of those large white water tanks from tractor supply .It is made to hold water and I asked the manager of the store do you have any damaged ones ,no cracks in sides of course .He had 2 and the tops were damaged ,I bought one and jig sawed around the top to make a bigger opening and have used it several times to rescue fish from abandoned ponds .I just stick it in the back of my truck and use ramps after water is in it with fish to slide it out .I also used it to put my fish in when a neighbor dog got in my pond a ripped the liner with his claws ,it was a life saver .worth the 50 dollars

Ask a Question