Starting a new pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen weathered pvc but yours has me questioning why the elbows in particular are aged as they are. I know your not going to like this suggestion but I wouldn't use any of the pvc I would replace it before you dump a gran or so into your fish the last thing i'd want to be worrying about is a fitting failing rare though probable. painting pvc help protect it from uv rays

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A lot of “koi purest” don’t like longfins/butterfly koi, so I guess they don’t like to acknowledge them as koi — but they are all koi! It’s sorta like some people think that Shubunkin aren’t goldfish, but they are. Personally, I only have goldfish in my pond, but if I had koi, they would be butterflies.

whtwter

1st big pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
arizona
Country
United States
@GBBUDD What is a suction drain? I did a search and am pretty sure the results I am seeing are not what you are referring to. And how big with the skimmer?
If I do any plants separated from the fish. Changed the design up a bit and hadn't planned on having water by the fireplace but thought it would be cool to do a curtain waterfall out of the left side of it into a opening in the concrete. Rough sketch and the fireplace pick is just the style I am doing. Hopefully this gives a better idea what I am trying to accomplish.
20180715_202409.jpg
image-long-Modern-Gas-Fireplace-design.jpg

whtwter

1st big pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
arizona
Country
United States
@Lisak1 I am in Phoenix, that is the way pvc looks after one season. I am going to put a shed over everything. It is fine now but a couple years more exposure it would be brittle
@Mmathis I think they are beautiful and my understanding is they tend to be slightly smaller which is why I chose them.

whtwter

1st big pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
arizona
Country
United States
No waterfall out the fireplace just looked at my layout, too cluttered. The fireplace is a lot wider than the one pictured though so it would accommodate it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would paint the pvc without question if that is the sun baking it shed or no shed

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That PVC almost looks like it was burned or heated for some reason - it looks like a toasted marshmallow!
Arizona sun and heat does that to Pvc, I had some sitting in my yard when I lived in AZ. It had the same coloring as what you are seeing on that pvc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is a suction drain
Old school we called them the main drain. but it seems today that if you choose to go with it you need to have two off the same pipe and both have to be able to handle the full load of the pump. a little girl drowned in a Jacuzzi and now it's code. oh and they must be more then 3 feet apart. if you going with the gas jets and glass bead fire I would surround the fire with the pond you don't need access and the reflection of the fire on the water would be crazyyyyyyyyyyy . but keep in mind the heat but if the distance is low enough there should be no heat retention . or is that not a bad thing if your adding a little heat to the water on a cold evening if the pond is large enough it will do little to raise the temp`

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hope that is thick wall pvc and not the thinner stuff .The thin stuff gets brittle fast

Ask a Question