Starting from scratch.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've taken on a job renovating a pond and waterfall system that runs through a miniature golf course. It consists of a "cave/mountain" at the top. Water is pumped (via a pool pump) from the bottom pond to the top of the mountain. (the "mountain" is a large, concrete structure with a "cave" underneath as part of the course) From there it cascades off the top of the mountain on three sides. The back side has a catch basin. It's approx. 40 feet long by 8 feet wide and has a depth of roughly 10". There are also cascades that drop to a stream that carries the overflow from the mentioned catch basin to the first pond. (Approx 20 feet in diameter and 18" deep in the center) There is a final cascade that flows down the front to that same pond. From that pond, the overflow travels along a shallow waterway to a smaller pond. (Abt. 12 feet in diamter and 16" deep) From there it overflows to a smaller stream to the main pond. (Approx. 30 feet by 16 feet and 3 feet deep in the middle) That pond contains the intake to the pump system. We estimate (really rough numbers) it to be 12-15,000 gallons.

Sorry for the long description but I'm trying to set a visual.

When we started, the whole system was filled with rotting vegetation. Leaves and twigs and black walnuts. We also found lot and lots of frogs. The whole system was at one time chlorinated. Treated more like a pool than a natural water feature. After spending an entire day catching and realeasing frogs (humanely released into the neighboring stream), all the water was pumped out and left to dry for two weeks. The entire waterway was repaired with thinset mortar and waterproofed with a latex clearcoat. Seeing the frogs, the new owner thought they'd be great to have in the system. They'd lower the mosquito count and the kids would love to see them.

This is ending soon, I promise...

So the question is, quite simply, where do I start? We'd like to add plants to the ponds. We want to keep the water clean without chemicals. And we want to have a nice environment for the local wildlife. We also want to know how to set it up so we don't have to disturb the frogs (and anyone else that moves in) in the winter.

I hope I haven't made this too confusing. Please ask me any questions you like for clarification.

Thank you all in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like an awesome project. Pictures would help a lot. As for where to start, it sounds like you need a good solids filtration and some massive bio filtration for that many gallons, especially since it’s a pretty shallow system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 20220402_125426.jpg
    20220402_125426.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220402_125449.jpg
    20220402_125449.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220402_155732.jpg
    20220402_155732.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220404_092518.jpg
    20220404_092518.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the photos. I'm struggling to see where the 15-18,000 gallon estimate comes from. Is it all in the streams? Maybe just hard to see the scale from the photos. It kind of looks like if you turn the pumps off, there wouldn't be enough pond to catch all the water coming down the hill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
HMM not sure i would choose white as a base color for a natural ponds . More than not it's not going to look all that pleasing when stains and algae etc start to grow. a black bottom would help conceal a lot . The best of ponds often have string algae issues when there is fast moving water i don't think thats the natural look you'd be after. I might lean toward two systems one for the falls and a second for a pond and maybe a slower moving stream if you have one

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the photos. I'm struggling to see where the 15-18,000 gallon estimate comes from. Is it all in the streams? Maybe just hard to see the scale from the photos. It kind of looks like if you turn the pumps off, there wouldn't be enough pond to catch all the water coming down the hill.
The ponds hold their own water. The only way the water travels is by overflowing each pond and going down to the next pond via the streams. When the pump is turned off, only the water in the connecting streams flows down to each pond until empty. They're just inches deep. On top of the mountain are large basins that fill to start the flow. And there's a conatinment area up there as well. That water sits when the pump is off. My estimations are just guesstimates on size right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have large basins ontop of the main falls that maybe a place for a bio filter in a bog but it would be SHAME NOT TO SHOW IT OFF TO THE KIDS

Reaction score
Country
United States
HMM not sure i would choose white as a base color for a natural ponds . More than not it's not going to look all that pleasing when stains and algae etc start to grow. a black bottom would help conceal a lot . The best of ponds often have string algae issues when there is fast moving water i don't think thats the natural look you'd be after. I might lean toward two systems one for the falls and a second for a pond and maybe a slower moving stream if you have one
It's not actually white. The pictures make it look much brighter thsn it is. More of a tan. It's the color of New Jersey sugar sand. The streams don't move very fast. They sort of trickle down. The waterfalls are sort of the same. They're spread out and are broken up so they appear to be fuller than they actually are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Theres no circulation in anything but the lower pond other than over flow which appears to be only a couple inches wide?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have large basins ontop of the main falls that maybe a place for a bio filter in a bog but it would be SHAME NOT TO SHOW IT OFF TO THE KIDS
We have an area at the bottom that might be used for something like that. Sort of a flat area that we talked about making a watery rock garden...if that makes sense. About 20' x 12' and about 8" deep. It could go deeper by adding height to the spillway. It's dry now but we could add a supply line to it. Do bio filters have to have the full flow through them?
Theres no circulation in anything but the lower pond other than over flow which appears to be only a couple inches wide?
There's circulation through the whole system. The pump lifts the water to the upper basins. The main feed splits. It feeds a basin on the front that feeds the front falls. Then a basin in the back that feeds the rear falls. Part of the rear flows to a catch basin which has the water flow equally over the edge and feeds a few areas of cascading water. All of that water then joins together in the top pond. It overflows from there into a stream. That streams is about 12 inches wide and a few inched deep. That repeats into the lowest pond and the pump collects that water and sends it back up. So all the water circulates through the system.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used the word "trickle." I guess I was comparing it to a whitewater stream. There's a healthy flow through there. But it doesn't come crashing into the pond and rush across the top. I'll try to get some pictures of the connecting streams. We're a day or so away from filling the sytem and turning it on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that's exactly where it loves to grow.. chlorine is by far the most eye appealing way out for the masses . if you want nature it may loose some customers because it is slimmy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
that's exactly where it loves to grow.. chlorine is by far the most eye appealing way out for the masses . if you want nature it may loose some customers because it is slimmy.
We're out in the country. Slimey doesn't bother folks around here as much as it might in a more "refined" area. And if the kids could learn something while they're putting little pink and purple balls around a mini golf, that's great. My own kids have grown up on a salt water river with eagles, ospreys and otters and up to their butts in muddy salt marshes finding creatures. Kids tend to love the "gross" stuff. Especially if there's a big, fat bullfrog staring up at them. The thought of putting chlorine back in this system is wholly unappealing. So I'm all for figuring a way to avoid that.

Ask a Question