Starting from scratch with a natural pond

Reaction score
I said hello in the introductions forum now on to the questions......

OK, not really questions at this point, more like a wide open quest for guidance and direction regarding my .2 acre snake invested mosquito factory.

First, we have problems to solve beginning with water moccasins. Yes, really, not harmless northern water snakes, actual venomous water mocs- we do know the difference. I plan to cut down the brush, remove the rodent habitat and hopefully that will make the place less desirable but it's a short slither from the pond to the bay so i may see the occasional visiting WM. Besides removing the external habitat I'd like to know if there is anything (animal, vegtable or mineral) that can be added to the water to dissuade snakes.

The pond is technically a wetland according to the Army Corps of Engineers. I may be able to get permission to fill some of it (up to .1 acre)

There are some natural ponds among the people here right? It's not all liners and pumps?

As a wetland I assume i can't just put anything i want in it but there are plenty of indiginious species around here that could thrive.

So, if anyone has experience natural ponds, wetland regulation, Army Corps of Engineers or snake bite treatment I would love to hear from you.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Have you tried commerical snake repellant sold at Lowes, Home Depot and farm goods suppliers? As for mosquito's introduce Gambusias (mosquito fish). About the size of small minnows they breed quickly and live on mosquito larve. Also use Mosquio Dunks, a donut shaped fish safe, plant safe mosquito larvae killing chemical. Available at most hardware an big box hardware stores.

Welcome and good luck.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
snakes will be a common thing for you if they re all around the area so thinking hey will never go away as long as they can find food or water .I we would find out how often it floods in the spring heavy rains and this will give you an idea of how to handle it .It may be something that will take years and years to get under control totally .There are some really nice natural ponds on you tube to see .I know lemon grass works to control mosquito's

Reaction score
I am a big fan of starting with your county extension agent. They provide free or very low cost workshop information, and will know the resources in your area.

I think your county extension office is:
Perquimans County Center
601-A South Edenton Road Street
Hertford, NC 27944
(252) 426-5428
(252) 426-1646 fax
Office Hours: 8-5

http://perquimans.ces.ncsu.edu/

Hmm don't really know North Carolino, so maybe it is:

Currituck County Center
120 Community Way
Barco, NC 27917
(252) 232-2261
(252) 453-2782 fax
Office Hours: 8-5

http://currituck.ces.ncsu.edu/

It if is wetlands in the sense of protected wetlands, then there are probably lots of hoops and whistles you have to go through. Extension office, or your county wetlands inventory office should be able to tell you that. Hoops and whistles doesn't mean you can't clean it up, just means more paper work.

As for the snakes, remove their food source and they should slither away. You can also do things to encourage the raptors that will eat them. Possibly.

As for mosquitoes, contact your local county mosquito control and talk to them. Our county has a commercial product that is much more economical and long lasting than mosquito dunks. I don't recall the name offhand, but it is not too difficult to get the license to purchase and treat yourself. Or perhaps you can get your county to put your pond on a regular schedule. You will impress them with your mosquito knowledge if you do some studies. Stand outside at prime mosquito roving times. Stand perfectly still for 15 minutes. Count how many mosquitoes land on you. Your county mosquito control can also tell you about, and possibly provide, local fish known for devouring mosquito larvae. Gambusia, or eastern mosquitofish is used a lot in the southeast, but you may be just past it's northern limit (I don't know that for certain).

Whether you can fill in part of your pond will depend a lot on your state and county, and whether it evolved naturally or was man-made. If it is natural, I would think chances of you being allowed to fill part of it in are slim to none.

NC Fisheries and Pond Management might also be able to give you some advice. And reading over their website should certainly give you food for thought.

Looks like a fun project, and I bet your boys will get a kick out of working with you on it. I can highly recommend the investment in hip waders.

Ask a Question