Sticky Doc Bio Filter

Reaction score
ZmanArt007 said:
I believe Doc Dave is correct, but if you are that worked about it, just make the outlet of the doc filter even, or even above the top of the wier. You shud have no problems at all then.

basically it turned out to be a hydrostatic pressure question after i looked around a bit, so now it makes sense. the pressure exerted by a vertical column of water is a function of its height, and once it starts going even just slightly, it creates a siphon effect that continues to pull the remainder.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
damian said:
wow what a jerk

You are obviously a child so I am going to let this go. We tried to help you and for some reason no answer was good enough for you. Any further smart ass comments will be your last.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
damian said:
wow what a jerk

This is a warning! Name calling will not be tolertated. You kept asking and getting super technical when you didn't understand the basic's to how it would balance. I will back any member here when it comes to this, not just a Mod. No name calling, no personal insulting, OR YOU WILL BE BANNED!

Reaction score
Hey doc maybe I missed this part, but what are the holes for in the pipe at the top of the barrel, in this pic? Won't water be pouring out those holes?

Attachments

• Filter_i_Overflow_Snorkel.JPG
    Filter_i_Overflow_Snorkel.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 462

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The part with the holes in it I call "The Snorkel" it's job is overflow back to the pond. There are many holes to insure that water will allways flow out. In the past, a leaf or build up of stuff has impeded the flow, this was designed to aleviate that problem.
The 3/4" pipe to the left is water in and going to the "bottom swirler".

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have holes like that but put an air hose in one of them really makes it bubble

Reaction score
DrDave said:
The part with the holes in it I call "The Snorkel" it's job is overflow back to the pond. There are many holes to insure that water will allways flow out. In the past, a leaf or build up of stuff has impeded the flow, this was designed to aleviate that problem.
The 3/4" pipe to the left is water in and going to the "bottom swirler".

Ok if I am understanding, you don't care that some of the water is actually flowing out of those holes and back into the barrel. As long as some of the water actually goes back into the pond. Cause it looks like the water that comes out of those holes is going to end up right back in the bio filter. Does that sound right? I am probably going to be building one this weekend so I have to get all the kinks worked out.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't think you quiete understand how it works. As water rises in the barrel, it overflows out through these holes. It has no place else to go but out to the pond. There are many holes to insure that water actually leaves through the 2" pipe.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I don't think you quiete understand how it works. As water rises in the barrel, it overflows out through these holes. It has no place else to go but out to the pond. There are many holes to insure that water actually leaves through the 2" pipe.

Ah ok I get it now. For some reason I was thinking that it was still being "pumped" out through tubing. No the water gets pumped in, then it just sorta rises to the top and flows on out that pipe cause its the easiest escape route.

Ask a Question