Sticky Doc Bio Filter

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Leaves are not picked up when you use a submersible pump, they have a prescreen to protect the impeller from damage.

Reaction score
Yeah and I forgot, I'll be using one of those sieves to get all the dirt and such. They look expensive but I bet they're worth every penny in the long run. Even if its just in saving you more labor.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Also be carefull because they can be knocked over by animals or people as that happened with my neighbor a deer was running scared I guess and ran right into the drum and the shrubs that hid the drum and almost went in the pond .The deer tracks where all over and ripped her liner up by the waterfall and made a real mess .We took 4 days to get everything back to where it was supposed to be and her husband had to go get a new drum and fittings as everything was either broken or was glued and could not be used again .He got stock tank instead and tank adapter at tractor supply instead of a drum again he decided a tank being lower may not be as easy to knock over .I had purchased my tank adapter there 2 days before for 9 dollars so at least that made finding it a little easier

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you need a tank adapter the best place I found is tractor supply to get it without having to go online I paid 8 dollars for mine and my plaintainer I used was 10 dollars at lowes and the best thing about tractor supply was they had all the parts right there did not have to shop around .I thought that was a good price .The elbow in abs was 1.95 the abs pipe I had left from the build of the house .You can get a stock tank or a barrel like DrDave has at tractor supply also .I used a walmart tote for my first filter and I am still using one of them on the other side of the pond to move water .You have to go with what works for you and what you can find and not bust the budget .This is mine for now but never know what I might change .I try to stay cheap and easy .Try what works for you , a lot of ideas here .True about big drum a deer ran down my neighbors and knocked it over and cracked it .

Attachments

• new pond filter working 001.jpg
    new pond filter working 001.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 546

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DrDave said:
I just posted another video on You Tube.

Drdave in your video here there is something round in the bottom of your pond that looks like a hose goes to it, is this your bottom drain? It is toward the beginning of the video.

Reaction score
I noticed you run smaller pipe for the intake of your filter. I have a 1100 gallon pond with a 1800gph submersible pump. I was figuring 1 1/2" or 2" flex pipe to run from my pump to my bio filter which i assume you have the same. Would having that big pipe connecting to the 3/4 pipe on your bio filter hinder your pump or restrict water flow a lot? I'm only asking cause I was planning on putting the same size pipe into my doc filter that i have coming from my pump and was wondering why you have smaller pipe on yours? thx

Reaction score
ok thanks. Also, whats a good amount of time that the water needs to be in the filter from bottom of drum to the waterfall opening in order for it to get the most from the bacteria? That way I can adjust my water flow correctly. thx

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
4-5 minutes seems to work for me. I have never actually timed it, but right after a dump, it takes about 3-4 minutes before it is full and overflowing back to the pond.
I never dump all of it.

Reaction score
Nice job Doc! I only have a small pond, so I'm using Sissy's idea of a submerged Sand Filter but with bioballs instead of large gravel. Finally getting some decent sized fish this weekend so we'll see how it goes. I also have the external trickle filter with more layers of bioballs and one layer of Pond Matrix just to cover all bases.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help Doc. I just have one last question and then I promise I'll leave you alone lol. I have a raised deck and I was thinking it would be the perfect place to hide my filter under there and then pipe it over to the waterfall which is only like 5' away. The problem is the filter will get no sun at all being under the deck. Will this ruin the bacteria in it or will it be ok to put it there? thanks a lot

Ask a Question