stock tank water garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've done a whisky barrel tank awhile back and that turned out really well. This is a 100 gallon stock tank. I have a ton of questions. Will it need some sort of filter? IF so, what type? I need some boulders or rocks or something to put in the pond in order to have a place to set that plants. What would you recommend? What are good water garden plants for part shade? What type of fish and how many? LOL. Sorry for all of the questions. Just want to make sure I get this right. Do you put the chemicals in the water to take out chlorine? I don't do that for my indoor 20 gallon fish tank. I use RO water. I've heard you just let it sit for 4 days and the chlorine will disappear. Food? I plan on buying the stock tank this weekend. The rest of the stuff I will buy over time. Would love comments, tips, ideas, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome U2girl! Will this be dug in the ground or above ground? Can you perhaps get a 150 or even a 300 gallon size? Let's start there. Yes, you will need to treat the chlorine/chloramines and get a filter if you have fish. Hold off on the boulders for now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome U2girl! Will this be dug in the ground or above ground? Can you perhaps get a 150 or even a 300 gallon size? Let's start there. Yes, you will need to treat the chlorine/chloramines and get a filter if you have fish. Hold off on the boulders for now.

This will be above ground. It will sit on our patio half in sun and half in shade. I will see if they have a 150 gallon. Does one need a filter? I know my 20 gallon tropical tank has all that, but not sure about the water gardening with the fish. Thanks for the welcome

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I'm new here. I used to have a 20 gallon whiskey barrel water garden with 2 fish. I had it for about 8-9 years. I never added chemicals. I filled it when it started to evaporate. I would feed them, but it seemed to flourish.

I also have a 20 gallon tropical tank.

Now I want to to buy a 100 gallon stock tank. My dream is to build a huge pond in ground, but I can't do it. My back is bad. So, the stock tank will be much easier on me.
I know they have the tank at Tractor Supply.

So where to I begin? What do I need? Filters? Pumps? fountain?
Should I be adding things to the water...like the chlorine remover?

Do I need to use bricks or something else to make a platform for putting my plants?

I do plan on having fancy goldfish. How many in a 100 gallon tank.
I know if you are keeping them an aquarium you have to go really large. Even a 20 gallon is too small for them.

So...basically I've no idea where to begin. LOL

I know for my tropical tank I use a filter, air pump for the water stone, heater, etc.

I know goldfish are cold water fish. I'm sure it is much different for the stock tank.

Any thoughts/ideas would be great.

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in the process of starting a stock tank water garden. I would LOVE to have an in ground, but my back won't allow all of that hard work.

I used to have a 20 gallon whiskey barrel tank. I had plants and goldfish. I never added anything in their water. I would fill up when it got low and fed fish and that was that. I had it about 9 years with no issues.

I also have a 20 gallon tropical tank. But, I have to test water, etc. I used RO water so did not have to use anything for chlorine...just add some minerals back to tank to help plants grow. I have the filter, air pump, heater, etc. Common stuff for tropical test.

Is it sort of the same way with a stock tank...except for heater?

What chemicals do I need to use for the water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm getting ready to buy a 100 gallon stock tank and use it as a water garden.

I'm keeping it on my patio. It will have part sun/shade.

I do plan on having fish.

What plants are good for beginners?

What types of bricks or rocks or whatever to build a shelf to put the plants on?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I'm new here. I used to have a 20 gallon whiskey barrel water garden with 2 fish. I had it for about 8-9 years. I never added chemicals. I filled it when it started to evaporate. I would feed them, but it seemed to flourish.

I also have a 20 gallon tropical tank.

Now I want to to buy a 100 gallon stock tank. My dream is to build a huge pond in ground, but I can't do it. My back is bad. So, the stock tank will be much easier on me.
I know they have the tank at Tractor Supply.

So where to I begin? What do I need? Filters? Pumps? fountain?
Should I be adding things to the water...like the chlorine remover?

Do I need to use bricks or something else to make a platform for putting my plants?

I do plan on having fancy goldfish. How many in a 100 gallon tank.
I know if you are keeping them an aquarium you have to go really large. Even a 20 gallon is too small for them.

So...basically I've no idea where to begin. LOL

I know for my tropical tank I use a filter, air pump for the water stone, heater, etc.

I know goldfish are cold water fish. I'm sure it is much different for the stock tank.

Any thoughts/ideas would be great.

Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If it was me doing this I would have a fountain, pump/w/filter/aeration and yes if you have city water w/the chemicals in it definitely you will need to add the chlorine remover anytime you add new water. Bricks or upside down clay pots work well to raise plants up and also those plastic milk crates.
You could get maybe 6 to 9 of the fancy little fat goldfish butt wigglers as @sissy calls them as they might not get too big. It would be just like having an aquarium outside pretty much.

Ask a Question