Stocking a small pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have a small pond connected to a long stream, the pond is circular, and is 10 feet in diameter. I has wondering what fish can I stock. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How deep? And where are you located? With it connected to a stream, chances are you’ve already got native fish, and any fish you try to add will be able to swim away, unless you put up a net barrier.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Check both your state laws and check with the game wardens office .Some states do not allow domesticated fish outdoors .I never knew that until I watched Northwoods Law show on TV .They fined the guy for each fish and then poisoned the pond to kill the fish .It was sad to see as the fish were pretty .I guess by what I see more states are going to add this law and they are not going to allow grandfathered in law for outdoor ponds .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks like everyone will have to switch to a raised pond soon. With potential to flood, I’m glad I’ve got such a tall pond/ pool. But if we end up moving it at some point, I’d like to sink it down about another foot or two, to keep water temps more stable and to make it easier to tend the fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If they ban ponds it is a somewhat a lose but i can understand the natural habitat stuff .Mine is half below ground and half above ground .Well really it is 2 1/2 feet under and about 2 feet above ground and and on the sidewalk side it is a foot above the sidewalk .I never realized how states want to add the law to their books .It is kind of scary for the future of ponds ,but I can also understand .Areas that flood badly could be a big area of concern

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’ll just shift the pond trend to above ground. Goldfish and koi can be very invasive, but so can any animal let loose in an environment close to natural that they can adapt to. Plant can too for that matter. Kudzu, python, lion fish, all are examples of how bad it can get. I’d hate to have a pet ruin a native species cause I didn’t take enough precautions. Where the pool pond is now, it’s well above the water line for almost record high flood levels, but if I do burry it more, fish might get aquarium time till I know flood levels first year.

Ask a Question