Stocking Suggestions?

markah1

Pond Newb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This will be my first post. I just constructed my first pond a few weeks ago. I specialize in aquarium plants and I have a few aquariums with a wide variety of aquatic plants.

The pond is small and while I wish it could have been bigger, we used up all the available space we could. We have multiple bee hives, a vineyard, a swimming pool, every veggie you could think of, and 18 fruit trees. Needless to say, our space was very limited.

The pond is 4 foot wide by 6 foot long and 2.5 feet deep at approximately 450 gallons. To keep predators out, we dug 1.5 feet with an elevated wall of just over 1.5 feet making the vertical wall about 3 feet. There is a cement base with pond liner.

We have a 1300 gph pump going to a pressure filter w/ a uv light which leads to a waterfall with a 8" spillway. I know many of you are against pressure filters but I was completely unaware of the many DIY filters out there so it will suffice for now.

I filled the filter with established filter media and about 50 gallons of water from my multiple tanks went straight to the pond.

I apologize for all the boring background info but I figured it would help a bit. Before I added fish, I added liquid ammonia to the pond to let the beneficial bacteria from my aquariums go to work. (The same method I use to cycle new aquariums). It was at 2ppm when I added the ammonia and by the next day, it was gone. I added more ammonia and got the same results.

I then proceeded to add 3 calico shubunkin goldfish and no ammonia, added 3 more a week later an no ammonia. I added one more blue/white looking shubunkin and still no ammonia or nitrites but I was at 30ppm nitrates so the pond was very well cycled.

As the thread states, how many more shubunkins can I safely add? I have 7 so far and was thinking about adding 1 or 2 more. The current fish sizes range from 3" to 6". I have water hyacinth, water poppy, and two waterlillies just growing their first leaves.

I plan on adding more plants.

Sorry for the essay and thank you in advance!!!!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am no expert at this but my pond is very similar in size to yours and the answers I got across the web were around 8. Some said maximum 10 if the pond could handle it. I had 6 but now I have 3 babies as well. You might not want to add more and instead see if babies will appear.

For plants, consider Hornwort. My fish like digging around in it, and baby fish use it to hide. I have to imagine its also where eggs would be laid.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
3d_effects.gif
To our group! Love your post it helped us a lot in knowing what you have. I would not add any more fish, let them settle down, see how many eggs and fry they create. I feed mine lightly to keep egg survival down. They love to munch on the caviar.

I have around 20 or so in a 1000 gallon tank, but that tank gets its water cycled constantly, it is in the loop of water flow with the big pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
markah1
Sounds like you have a nice pond,got any pictures? Those shubbies will for sure be laying eggs and babies will be on the way. You can get some nice offspring from those shubbies and hope you have friends that need fish also

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and they will have babies so you need to think about that

Reaction score
I have a pond the same size. I suggest you stop adding shubunkins. You have room for more fish (I like to shoot for 40 gallons per goldfish), but if you fill your pond now you will regret it when you find a fish you absolutely must have. Every ponder is jealous of those who have room for more fish in their pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have plenty of room for more fish, but letting nature do the filling, what manages to survive survives. I am not adding fish just letting any fry that survive live in the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are lucky we have the land for ponds and my honey bought me a tractor for our first wedding anniversary. I had a great time tearing up the yard.

markah1

Pond Newb
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies! I have such a horrible memory and I completely forgot about this thread but I have yet to add any more fish like you all suggested. I will let nature take its course and go from there. I tried adding hornwort but most of it started turning brown. It hasn't died or melted but it definitely doesn't look healthy but I plan on keeping it in there for the time being.

I've added some bog plants with floating baskets and my parents brought me a hardy lily and the liner has started growing some algae but I'm not too worried. The water is still clear. Well, it was until a mishap today but thats for another thread I'm about to make lol

Can anyone tell me how to sex shubunkins? Is it hard?

Reaction score
Let me know if you figure out how to sex them:):) Three years in and I have reworked the pond to be deeper. My goldfish have been replaced by Koi, and I still look at every fish i see for sale. Spring is in the air and you will be looking for homes to take the new babies to keep your pond from being over crowded. I just relocated 18 gold fish and shubunkins, and have atleast that many more to find homes for. Welcome to the forum! Enjoy

Ask a Question