String algae control

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
3% H2O2 is perfectly safe to use full strength in your pond. We used to buy a dozen big bottles at a time at Costco and dump them in. But yes - shut off the running water and use the peroxide on the waterfall exactly as you described.

Ali

Reaction score
3% H2O2 is perfectly safe to use full strength in your pond. We used to buy a dozen big bottles at a time at Costco and dump them in. But yes - shut off the running water and use the peroxide on the waterfall exactly as you described.
Thanks Lisak1! The black algae in my waterfall peels off like plastic wrap. I dabbed some HP with a q-tip on a couple of rocks just to see the effect. Wiped it off with a tissue after a couple of minutes. Worked like a charm. We're going through a heat wave at the moment (not a good time to deplete oxygen) but it should cool off tomorrow and I will do the spray thing then. Our pond is 1000 gallons, your pond must be big to use a dozen bottles. Do you have fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have about 4000 gallons total. And yes - koi and a variety of goldfish. The volume of the pond dilutes the H2O2 so there's no concern about harming the fish. It was really just an experiment on our part to see if it would work on the string algae we had early on in the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have about 4000 gallons total. And yes - koi and a variety of goldfish. The volume of the pond dilutes the H2O2 so there's no concern about harming the fish. It was really just an experiment on our part to see if it would work on the string algae we had early on in the pond.
I used it in my AZ pond, the string algae grew like a weed. I would dump in 14 liters, one liter per 1000 gallons. Wiped it right out did not bother the fish at all.

I would then pull out the dead gray stuff.

Ali

Reaction score
Sounds nice:). It worked nicely on the waterfall, I will try whole pond treatment when the weather cools off. That was supposed to have happened yesterday but it lasted only a few hours...:mad: . Now it's supposed to be the weekend..oh well, the waterfall was the big issue, the rest is mostly preventive. Thanks again for your help!

Ask a Question